New Member Flashing ABS/Brake warning - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2018, 9:00 am Thread Starter
Noob

Red face New Member Flashing ABS/Brake warning

Hi Everyone I am a new member based in Basingstoke, England so I would like to say hello in the first instance.

Secondly, my bike (K1200GT, 2004) has been laid up for a few months and when I took it out again recently it started fine, ran ok but then after a few miles the ABS light started flashing and the General Warning light came on too. The brakes seemed to be operating normally so I continued for a while to see if it would clear but it didn't.

After a bit of on-line research it looked like it might have been the battery failing, (it is about seven years old now) in any case I changed the battery and everything is fine once again and no other problems.

So, I would say if you get such problems, don't go for the expensive 'it must be an ABS/Servo problem straight away, test and if necessary change the battery, it could be as simple as that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2018, 1:39 pm

Good advice. The servo brakes on these bikes are hard on batteries, and will throw a false "ABS and General Warning" light when the voltage gets too low. I always keep my bike hooked up to a battery tender when I'm not riding it to do my best to start out with a fully charged battery. Even then, no battery lasts forever. Seven years is very good for an AGM battery.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2018, 9:26 pm
Noob

Also have an 04 K1200GT, and just experienced the exact same issue. Recharged my battery overnight and problem gone.

04 K1200GT
I do my own wrench work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2018, 10:33 am
Addict

Er... not always. Sometimes those lights that won't stop flashing mean something really is starting to let go. BTDT on my '03 KRS and a loaner RT. If the problem shows up once and not again, things probably aren't that bad. If it returns. Not so good. At the very least battery charging or holding a charge may be compromised. Or the bake system may want attention. "Can't start" isn't a big deal, "can't stop" is.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2018, 9:09 pm
Noob

According to my dealer there are a number of reasons for this issue. Mine was diagnosed as a failed ABS pump but turned out to be low fluid in the rear reservoir. Look for the simple fixes first as the pump is sometimes more than the bike is worth.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2018, 10:08 am
Noob

Definitely time for a new battery but don't be surprised if the problem returns and you need an ABS controller. In the states, we have a resource that will rebuild the unit for about $200 USD. Info is in other posts on the subject. Cheers!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2018, 9:15 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodoo View Post
According to my dealer there are a number of reasons for this issue. Mine was diagnosed as a failed ABS pump but turned out to be low fluid in the rear reservoir. Look for the simple fixes first as the pump is sometimes more than the bike is worth.
Good advice! Rear reservoir needs to be full, mine did the same thing.

"Cogito ergo zoom!"
Safety comes before speed. - Check the dictionary.

1999 Sportster "S" Cardinal Red
2000 ZRX1100 Jade Green
2003 K1200RS Pacific Metallic Blue
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2018, 11:22 am
Noob

what a great thread. thanks to everyone for their replies. I do all my own wrenching but it's been mostly cars. this info has been really helpful.

looking for a diagnostic tool now. I found gs911usa.com, which looks very promising. looks like some of those tools can't read the ABS unit though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode