system case to exhaust proximity - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:33 pm Thread Starter

system case to exhaust proximity

Hi, I thought I would restart the thread related to my system case maybe being too close to my exhaust because the thread is getting old, I did get two responses that said it looks like something is out of alignment, but I thought I would repost one of my pics and fish for some more responses, and possible fixes. So I post the one pic of my system case, with the adhesive backed aluminum, which is already peeling off after a 200 mile lap around Evergreen and Loveland Pass, and see if anyone has any idea why my exhaust is so close to the bag. I can shim the bag away a tad, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch because the front mount point on the left bag is a little worn and the bag does angle a bit to the inside, but I don't think that's the main problem, the bracket and all that seems to be attached fine, can't find anything wrong, and I can't see any way to rotate the exhaust because the wire-like bracket is fixed, maybe I could bend it in a tad also, but my question really is what kind of space does anyone else have between the exhaust and the left system case, so I can tell what I'm aiming for.
Thanks, Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01-burn hole.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	2507  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2006, 5:11 am
Addict

I just put my case on specially for you!

My photo is different to yours!

My case has a recess moulded into the case, therefore it would appear that somebody may have fixed a piece if aluminium over the inside of your case. I'm not sure if that helps or makes the problem worse.

I measured about 30mm into the recess.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sidecase.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	2511  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2006, 9:37 am Thread Starter

recess

Thanks vox for the foto. I applied the aluminum across the entire backside of the case, and floated it across the 30mm recess you described. I agree the hole is caused by the hot gasses, and it's in the same place I can see you have a black mark on your case. My bag is hanging to the inside about 3/8ths of an inch because it is worn at the bracket, so I will shim it back out and that and the aluminum should help a bit. From your foto I see your bag looks almost as close as mine. Alowishus says I should have 1 to 1 1/2 inches of clearance, so I have a baseline now.
Jack

Last edited by frisco99; May 24th, 2006 at 9:52 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2006, 10:28 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisco99
From your foto I see your bag looks almost as close as mine. Alowishus says I should have 1 to 1 1/2 inches of clearance, so I have a baseline now.
When I get home from work today, I'll attach the left bag and snap a photo also so that you'll have another point of reference.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2006, 2:14 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
I just put my case on specially for you!

My photo is different to yours!

My case has a recess moulded into the case, therefore it would appear that somebody may have fixed a piece if aluminium over the inside of your case. I'm not sure if that helps or makes the problem worse.

I measured about 30mm into the recess.
Because everybody is posting the same here there and everywhere, I've forgotten now where I suggested the real problem maybe the muffler outlet is too short, and it's the cone of hot gas burning the case, not the can itself.

In fact if you look closely at both sets of photos posted, the surface heat discolouration pattern swirls around, rather like the effect you'd expect from a hot air gun. When you look down the spout of the can it would have been nice to see it profiled away from the case, but I don't think it is. Too short anyway. Those whose bikes are always spewing out clouds of water vapour at start up, could tell us what the exhaust stream looks like at the spout with cases fitted.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2006, 6:04 pm
Addict

Measurements

Note: the "4" with the arrow points at the blurred number on the metal ruler (4").
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Img_0108.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	2528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_0109.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	2529  

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2006, 8:40 pm Thread Starter

clearance

Carnadero and Vox thanks for the pics, now I know what to shoot for.
Jack
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2006, 9:26 am
Enthusiast

Just make sure you do whatever to have sufficient clearance. I saw a guy riding a KRS at Texas Hill Country two years ago with his bag on fire from the same problem. He was able to put it out, but only after the case was almost completely melted and burnt away. I think one of my buddies has a picture. I'll post it if I can find.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode