Newbie-First Beemer, fuel pump issue - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2018, 4:02 am Thread Starter
Noob

Newbie-First Beemer, fuel pump issue

As I stated this is my first BMW motorcycle. I picked up a 1998 k1200 RS at had had been sitting sat for 6 years unridden with fuel in it which turned to varnish. So, I took the tank apart today, removed the fuel pump assembly which was gummed up and the little bag filter ripped, but I sprayed it all clean with carb cleaner, BUT, I noticed the two wires that go to the fuel pump from the base plate have lost all their plastic coating. They are exposed copper wire now. Did this fry the fuel pump?

Here is why I ask; I plugged the fuel pump back in and turned the bike on but got no sound from the pump. Shouldn't it run a bit when you turn the key on? I hope it's not kaput.

Is there a way to test the pump if what I did was wrong? Can i solder in new wires with gas proof wires?

Thank you in advance. I will have many more questions I'm so glad to have a forum like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2018, 6:39 pm

You can buy a new fuel pump motor on ebay for a little over $30 US, or an entire used fuel pump assembly for $165 or so.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2018, 9:51 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks Rolling Brick. My question is, shouldn't the fuel pump make noise if you put power to the terminals? I get nothing when I jump it out to a battery, but wondered if it had to be immersed in fluid to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2018, 9:45 am
Veteran

Pump is seized.You may be able to free it running it in reverse.Connect + from pump to battery- and - from pump to battery +.

Don't run it too long without circulating fluids through.

Carb cleaner? Hum bad for plastics.

But I wouldn't use a previously seized pump too long or expect much reliability out of it.Took a little adaptation but my bike is happy with the Bosch 69222 I installed +40,000 miles ago.Still quiet,I can barely hear it when I turn on the ignition.Old pump was still pumping at over 100Ks but was getting a little too noisy for my liking.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2018, 6:04 pm

Yes, a pump that has been sitting for a long time is usually seized up pretty good. Since it's just the motor that usually goes bad, just replace it. Too much work to try and salvage the old pump, put the whole thing back together only to have it fail again (and probably strand you somewhere when it does).
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2018, 6:08 pm

As far as bench testing a fuel pump motor, yes you can just put 12 volts to it, but only for a couple of seconds to see if it runs. (PS, if the motor is not held down, expect it to jump around due to the torque reaction!) The fuel pump motor uses the fuel to help keep it cool, and will overheat if run dry for very long.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2018, 7:18 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thank you! I replaced the fuel pump. Tested it with a quick jolt of juice and it works.
I installed it and heard it wind when I put the key on. I cranked the bike (which had been sitting for 6 years) and it wouldn't fire. Does it need to build pressure? Should it fire if it's going to fire pretty quickly? Since it wouldn't fire up after letting it crank for a bit, I'm assuming the fuel lines are gummed up and perhaps the injectors? And the fuel filter assembly was leaking so the gasket I have didn't seem to work. Is there any trick to the fuel gasket I should know? I got the gasket with the bike, I assume it was the right one. it fit fine. Just wondering if there was any intel on the mating of these two parts that I should know, before i order a new gasket (thought it seems hard to find the right gasket).

Checked for spark and got a nice big spark so that's why I feel it's a fuel problem.
Thanks!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2018, 1:37 am Thread Starter
Noob

Okay! solved the leak and added more fuel and the bike fired right up. I didn't have enough gas in it to reach the bottom of the pump, so it was starved.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode