Thinking about buying a 2004 K1200GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2018, 7:51 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Cool Thinking about buying a 2004 K1200GT

What are the pro's and con's of the 2004 K1200 GT.
I was once told if your thinking about the 2004 buy the RS?
I like the body lines of the 04 and the extra fairing protection,electronic cruise etc.
Any thoughts?
Thx

1985 K100RT SOLD
1985 R80RS (project bike)SOLD
1987 K100RSSOLD
2000 R1100RT
2005 K1200S SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2018, 8:05 pm

They are essentially the same bike. The GT has higher bars and a larger windshield. The GT came with painted panniers standard, and cruise control. The RS has a little more aggressive seating position, but thats about it. Buy the one that is in the best shape and the best price. Although a bit heavy, they are good, strong motorcycles that are fun to ride.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2018, 1:33 pm
Rookie

I've had two 04 GT's and I love them. I've ridden them from the DC area to RedLodge ,MT, to Vermont and lots of near by rides. I took it to Arizona in my pickup truck and put 3000 mi on it in 2 mos riding around Northern AZ with not a lick of a problem and smooth riding all the way. Now before I get all gushy about the bike, there is one big issue with them. The rear oil seal can leak and destroy the clutch and if you catch it before the clutch is affected, it costs about 75.00 for the seal and 2200.00 for labor or 3000.00 for the clutch included. Both of my bikes had this problem, but I've heard from many who own the bike that have never had the problem. The bottom line, is that the bike is a smooth and powerful machine to ride and very comfortable. Although, I would get a custom seat to increase comfort on long distances. (or an Airhawk seat topper) I wrecked my present one and bought it back from the insurance company and rebuilt it. I had to replace the radiators, valve head, cams, fairings and all the paint and stuff that comes with it. Supriseingly easy to work on. Rides great now, better than before. Just replaced the front cam seal myself and did it in one day. The bike is like that woman you lust after. It keeps taking, but the lust makes the giving back so satisfying. Overall, it is a great bike and I will own no other!

Rick Mead
2004 K1200GT Orient Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2018, 1:37 pm
Rookie

I like the do dads on the GT. Heated seat and grips are great in cold weather. I will not own another bike without cruise control and I put an extended windscreen on mine to decrease wind noise. Parabellium makes one for it. The seat has two riding positions. It eats up curves and goes fast on straights.

Rick Mead
2004 K1200GT Orient Blue
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2018, 4:11 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Cool Decisions,decisions!

Thanks for the input! I have a 2000 R1100RT , and a 2005 K1200S. I've always liked the body lines on the R1100RT with the mirrors integrated into the fairing.
I've only had the 2005 K1200S since last fall but boy howdie does that bike like to move! It came with factory bags and is pretty much stock-no cruise control.
The mirrors are ok which was one of my concerns,that said I think I could get use to the GT. I really like the power of the K-Bikes so I will keep looking.
Another consideration is the range on a tank of fuel?My K1200S seems to be fairly thirsty,but I need to take some longer trips and see how the mpg average.

1985 K100RT SOLD
1985 R80RS (project bike)SOLD
1987 K100RSSOLD
2000 R1100RT
2005 K1200S SOLD
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2018, 10:21 pm
Rookie

About 42/gal approx 200 miles on a tank, but start looking around 175.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2018, 7:04 pm
Noob

It’ Important to keep the oil when changed down in the lower part of the sightglass shoot for 3/16 to a quarter inch from the bottom you will not do any damage there’s plenty of oil but it keeps the pressure off the rear main seal which as mentioned can be a weak point, also change out the front and back brakes circuits with new brake fluid at a minimum every two years I do one circuit one year the other circuit the other year. Use good quality mineral-based geer oil in the rear end and the transmission. I change mine out every year. It appears that several of the approved cartridge oil filters are being made with thinner metal which causes the cup sockets to slip. I’ve had them lined mine for 60 grit sandpaper to get it off even though it’s torque correctly. I have change to K&N filter’s that have a socket fitting on their base which makes it much easier to get them out.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2018, 8:22 pm
Rookie

I've also heard that the use of synthetic will increase the likelyhood of the rear main seal leaking. The mechanic at Moto Ghost in Scottsdale, AZ told me that 10-40 mineral base oil would be fine for me in the mid Atlantic Region and reduce the possibility of the problem happening. Since it has happened to me twice, I will do anything to have it not happen again.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 3:08 pm
Noob

I have a 2003 K1200GT - I like it Faster than I need.

The rear oil seal can leak - common.
Fuel pump, filter and fuel line inside tank - replaced.
Change the brake lines out to the steel ones - Stainless steel braided brake lines - Spiegler
I have replaced the steering stabilizer - was leaking.
Brakes and brake fluid - replace the fluid every couple years.
Front springs seal leaked.
Right now I need the rear brake serviced (disk) and the throttle bodies clean and serviced.
Fuel mileage - 32 to middle 40's if you’re lucky. @ 175 miles (I agree - start looking for fuel)
I have 65,000+ on mine.
It will cost you well more in service and parts than you have paid for it.
Moto Ghost in Scottsdale, AZ 2 thumbs up.
I ride mostly local - no long trips and I really try to keep it under 100 mph. You will find that you can really get up there quicker than you think.
I have a white helmet - several times I noticed that I was mistaken for the police :-)
Have fun - stay upright.
azhirise is online now Report Post
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2018, 1:00 pm
Noob

I Have one for sale

If you really want one, I have one for sale in CT, priced to sell, low miles ( for a K bike ) and ready to ride.

In regards to the bike, I'd add that you want to replace the fuel line quick connect with an aftermarket all metal part. The OEM part degrades resulting in a massive fuel leak. I had the same problem on both of them, both times resulting in fuel spraying everywhere.

[email protected] if you are interested.

Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode