K1200RS: fires, but wont idle - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2018, 1:08 am Thread Starter
Noob

K1200RS: fires, but wont idle

I let the bike sit for too long. I drained the tank today, got new fuel, and topped off the charged on the battery.

It fires, but won't idle.

Press the starter, fires and then slowly chugs out. Vroom, put, put, put.

Press and hold the starter, fires, continue holding starter down and blip the throttle, dies immediately.

Press and hold the starter, immediately blip the throttle, let go of the starter, it revs up from the extra gas, and then dies

No matter how hard I try to manage the throttle during the startup, I can't get it accept the increased throttle. It just dies.

Its possible that I didn't get the last of the bad gas through the fuel lines and injectors yet. I'll try again tomorrow.

Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2018, 9:54 pm
Noob

Torpedo,

Sounds like you may have a lack of fuel problem.

You could drain the old gas from the system thru the fuel line disconnects or by removing the injector rail and the injectors. EZ job after the plastic is off the left side - two 10 mm bolts is all that's holding the rail and injectors. You might have some goo in the injector screens (on the inlet side of the injectors) and possibly in the fuel filter. If you have used ethanol gasoline, chances are they need to be cleaned. Thoroughly. If you haven't replaced the fuel filter or the rubber lines inside the tank, now would be the good time to do it all.

You could spray some carb cleaner in the injectors to clean the screens, see if that helps.

Or, you could send the injectors to Injector Rehab in NJ for cleaning and refurb. Injector-Rehab Fuel Injector Cleaning Services Keith Gibbons the owner is very good, fast turnaround. Interesting website, too.

All the above is dependant on your desire/skillset/tools, of course. I've done all the above and more in my garage with basically the bike's toolkit, so it ain't that hard.

Here are the K1200RS injectors and screens from my bike: https://photos.app.goo.gl/QLzzpr4AFRuokZA66

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2018, 7:14 pm
Noob

Garage
Lowndesw Howdy,

Question how do you get those little buggers out of the injectors without out damaging them?

Sy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 1:23 am Thread Starter
Noob

SOLVED:

I removed the fuel pump assembly from the bottom of the tank, in order to service the two fuel filters.

The problem was a leaking fuel line between the pump and filter. Yes - the fuel line deteriorated even though it was inside the tank.

Back on the road!

T

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode