Aux Wire near tank sending unit? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2018, 9:19 am Thread Starter
Noob

Aux Wire near tank sending unit?

Can anyone help me identify the brown (yellow terminal end in photo) auxiliary wire lead that sits next to the tank sending unit on a 1998 K1200RS?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180610_165209[2].jpg
Views:	56
Size:	915.1 KB
ID:	23647  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2018, 12:19 pm
Noob

My '00 K1200RS does not have that. Brown wire is always a ground (earth) connection per the Clymer wiring diagram. I don't recognize the yellow connector, either.

Is it wrapped or taped separately from the other two wires down below??
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2018, 1:15 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeman View Post
Can anyone help me identify the brown (yellow terminal end in photo) auxiliary wire lead that sits next to the tank sending unit on a 1998 K1200RS?
I have done quite a bit of work on many K1200RS and I have NEVER seen this added wire with such a strange yellow connector (BMW has never used these). Only the white 2 wires connector is stock from factory (connected to float / fuel-level sensor on top right side)

I would say with 99% certainty, that it is not stock - just an addition someone did. NOW... your job is to look around / under all fairings to figure where this leads. Maybe the Battery Poles will give you a clue about added / home-made wiring.

Stock battery poles connections wiring are:
- a single Large RED wire connected on (+) toward rear of motorcycle (assuming normal battery position)

- 2 (two) Black wires at Negative (-) pole: one is quite thick and leads into main wiring harness. The other is medium thick and leads down toward starter (attached to top of transmission as a Starter ground)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)

Last edited by sailor; Jul 5th, 2018 at 3:07 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2018, 8:24 pm
Noob

I can say with 100% certainty that this IS a factory stock wire. I've owned my bike since new, with no modifications and the tank wasn't replaced with the infamous service bulletin (mine never dripped requiring a trip to the dealer).

My VIN ends with ZA50140. I've been told that it was the 140th to roll off the line for US market, manufactured in April of 1997. I haven't verified that myself, but you can.

I opened up the fairings just now, and took a picture for you. This wasn't connected for me either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1576.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	23685  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2018, 8:05 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedo51 View Post
I can say with 100% certainty that this IS a factory stock wire. I've owned my bike since new, with no modifications and the tank wasn't replaced with the infamous service bulletin (mine never dripped requiring a trip to the dealer).

My VIN ends with ZA50140. I've been told that it was the 140th to roll off the line for US market, manufactured in April of 1997. I haven't verified that myself, but you can.

I opened up the fairings just now, and took a picture for you. This wasn't connected for me either.
Thanks for jumping in with your photo.
We do learn something new almost everyday... in 16 years wrenching on these I had never seen an early K1200RS with such a connector.

In addition to the CLYMER manual, I also have the electrical diagrams directly from BMW (on a CD for Windows) - they do not show this added brown wire and connector. Will check with a few friends who have 1998 models on the other K1200RS forum.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)

Last edited by sailor; Jul 15th, 2018 at 2:37 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode