• 1 Post By cokesandspokes
  • 1 Post By SpaceViking
  • 1 Post By SteveMac
  • 1 Post By larrykay

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2018, 7:14 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Helmets and blue tooth

I would like to post a question as to what is the helmet everyone are using along with your blue tooth setup
I’m having a hard time paying 700 dollars for a shoei helmet but I’ve found them to be the most comfortable and quiet is there an equal out there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2018, 9:38 am
Noob

Helmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cihm View Post
I would like to post a question as to what is the helmet everyone are using along with your blue tooth setup
I’m having a hard time paying 700 dollars for a Shoei helmet but I’ve found them to be the most comfortable and quiet is there an equal out there
Hey, Cihm,

I just got a Shoei Neotec 2 (modular) that fits very well. The previous helmet is an LS2 Strobe modular ($150 two years ago) and is VERY similar. I have taken both apart further than "users" are supposed to and inspected them very closely. Both are sized for "long-oval" head shapes, have the drop down sun visor, ratchet chin strap, are modular-type, have quick disconnect face shield, and excellent fit-and-finish. They weigh about the same, too.

The only real differences I can find are that the Shoei is a little smoother aerodynamically (possibly quieter) around the edges of the face shield hinges and the LS2 had a slight problem with the attachment of the chin curtain at the chin bar release button. It would sometimes come partially loose there and I would push it back in place. Both have good ventilation.

The Shoei Neotech 1 was $500 at CycleGear but does not have the ratchet chin strap, otherwise very similar. The Neotec 2 has channels and compartments specifically for a Schuberth comm system that can be installed and fully contained inside the shell.

I have used two different Cardo systems (Packtalk and G9x) on both, no problem.

So, why did I buy the Shoei?? I can't figure it out either. The LS2 is a VERY good helmet (for me) for the money.

Hope this helps.
cihm likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2018, 6:01 pm
Noob

Garage
Helmet

I would beg to differ about Shoei had several many years ago, switched to an Aria and never looked back..
cihm likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2018, 8:28 pm

Garage
You can jam a blue tooth in just about any helmet. I have had many different helmets and 2 different Blue Tooth units. I presently use a Shoei Neotec Modular the same as lowndesw; Paid about the same as well and use a Sena Blue Tooth. . If you don't have a lot of bucks to throw at this thing, you don't need to go buying a different helmet. Just get out the Exacto knife, tape and whatever and get it in there.
cihm likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2018, 10:54 pm
Noob

I have a Shoei X-14. Previous helmet was the X-11. X-11 fit great and held up to years of riding. The X-14 is better in every way I can think of. I purchase the Scala Rider FREECOM 1 system and Iím very happy with it (especially for the price). Itís my first Bluetooth equipped helmet so I have no basis of comparison. Iíll I can tell you is it works. The speakers are fair in quality but get the job done. The install was not to bad. Lotís of videos on YouTube to assist. Looks real nice and low profile on helmet. I got the white helmet which helps on the cost and being in South Florida keeps me cool. Looks nice with tinted/dark shields. Lotís of rain here and no fogging issues with and without Pin Lock system which I have only on my clear shield. I wear glasses and this was the only helmet that fit great and that I could get my glasses into including the other Shoei models. Love how light it is and the ventilation. Itís a sweat looking helmet too, especially with the dark and tinted shields. Maybe was a little snug in the brow area compared to X-11 but broke in eventually. Fits great now. Medium size. Calling people on an iPhone, some complain of my voice being hard to understand. I donít use the phone much so it is what it is. Fiddling with mike position seemed to help as well as removing chin deflector. Maybe the mike is too close the mouth area in that helmet. Maybe someone else with this setup can give me some tips to help with that? And a good speaker to upgrade too?
cihm likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2018, 12:36 am

Garage
I've had a full-face Shoei before the Neotec. Got the Neotec because my 1st one was black and that didn't go well riding thru the Southwest in August repeatedly to visit my son in New Mexico and back to Washington State. I also got tired of taking the thing off just to talk. Got the Neotek in white, painted some Beemer grey stripes on it and added a pair of Beemer stickers on the sides. Helped make it look less like a big white egg sitting on my head.

Also keep in mind that all new liners are available in different sizes and they are reasonable ($30). There are not a bunch of different sized shells. They make up the different sizes with the thickness of the liners. If you decide to shave your head or something, you don't have to buy a smaller helmet; just change liners. The reverse is also true for getting a swelled head as your riding skills improve. %^D

I've had both top of the line Scala Rider and Sena blue tooths. I found the function of both to be fine with the only real difference being that the Scala Rider is removable and that's how it got stolen, while the Sena is hard mounted and the battery pack is separate but also mounted on the outside of the helmet. You don't want a Lithium Ion battery on the inside of a helmet; any malfunction and your brain gets cooked.
cihm likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2018, 2:53 am
Rookie

I have a Nolan with Nolan Bluetooth. Very nice fitting system, and work perfectly.
Stopped working once and was replaced under warranty.
I have had BMW, Nolan, shoei, and bell helmets. Different helmets from the same manufacturer are different shapes, and I have not seen a consistent noise or fitting pattern. Friends who had the same helmet weren't happy with the fit from one brand, bet were with the fit from another. Same with noise levels. It is all about how well it fits your melon, not anyone else's melon.
cihm likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2018, 11:30 am
Addict-oholic

I went with the new Schuberth C4 replacing my C3. Their new Bluetooth system the SC1 is built in and does have a remote cobtrol. paired with with my zumo 550 and Apple phone in no time. I like a modular helmet as i wear glasses and easier to put on. Expensive, but no issues.
cihm likes this.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2018, 12:55 pm
Noob

Sena blue tooth

I decided to go with a clamp on variety so when I get a new helmet I install it on my new helmet.
The Sena products are great. Very good quality, sound quality and intercom is easy and has worked for me for many years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode