RS rear luggage rack and side case question... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2018, 11:34 pm Thread Starter
Noob

RS rear luggage rack and side case question...

I am shopping for a K1200 RS and see that some come without the luggage rack, mounts for side cases and the cases themselves. Iíve done some searching for these parts online without a lot of luck. It seems, though, that getting OEM cases is going to be really expensive. ?? Any thoughts on how available (or rare) these items might be? Iíd hate to buy a bike then not be able to get/afford OEM luggage!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2018, 7:06 am

I see the black plastic mounting rails on eBay all the time. Clean, usable side cases are another matter! As you can guess, the side cases take all the abuse when a bike is dropped, and the K bikes are already "gravity challenged!" So finding used side cases that haven't been beat up can be time consuming, but not impossible. A good pant and body man can do wonders with a scuffed up pair and make them look like new for far less money than what BMW wants for just one case!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2018, 6:55 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingBrick View Post
I see the black plastic mounting rails on eBay all the time. Clean, usable side cases are another matter! As you can guess, the side cases take all the abuse when a bike is dropped, and the K bikes are already "gravity challenged!" So finding used side cases that haven't been beat up can be time consuming, but not impossible. A good pant and body man can do wonders with a scuffed up pair and make them look like new for far less money than what BMW wants for just one case!
I found a set of bags for my R11S on craigslist or eBay, can't remember. Very cheap, very decent cosmetic condition, perfect mechanically. It took a while and was a fluke deal. You have to be fast to get them. I used aftermarket soft bags for a while until I got these. You might check to see if any other BMW models have the same cases. That was the "case" with my R11S, several different bikes use the same bags and when searching it broadens your market.

If you are still looking for a K bike, just look for one with the cases. They are out there.

My K12RS came with cases that were repainted with a gloss black, I guess to hide scuffs, but they look OK. There are several forums with info on DIY repainting and repairing the cases, some using the very tough and textured polyurea truckbed spray-on liners, like Rihno or Bullet. That stuff will repair splits and cover patches. Colors and smooth finishes, too.

Good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 4:35 pm
Noob

Hey Brad,

Not sure if you've found side cases, but there are a few decent sets available on Craigslist in the SF Bay Area currently. I think that one set may work on your bike. Worth checking out.

I found a nice locking set on Ebay for $280 (shipping included). They're out there!

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode