iABS dead on 2003 K1200GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 6:43 pm Thread Starter
Noob

iABS dead on 2003 K1200GT

Went to go for a ride Wednesday night and my battery would turn the bike over 2-3 times and stop. Did this several times. No battery/slow starting issues before, so I found it weird that the battery would just up and die so suddenly, but alas it did. Picked up new battery (off brand) and installed it last night. Bike turns over MUCH faster than before, but it was late and raining so it stayed in the garage. Got on the bike tonight for a quick ride, fires right up, but ABS light is solid. Never blinks, no noises at all from the pump. Only residual braking.

Iíve searched this forum and MOA, and poured thru the clymer manual, but havenít found anyone with the same problem. Very strange that the pump doesnít even seem to have its own fuse. But itís quite clear the iABS unit isnít getting any power..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 7:42 pm Thread Starter
Noob

This thread https://www.k-bikes.com/forums/42-k1...2-k1200rs.html leads me to suspect the ABS relay.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 10:20 pm
Noob

ABS I can be damaged while changing the battery

ABS I can be damaged while changing the battery - the unit is very close to the battery. I learned this the Hard $$$ way. Since I had more time than money I had the dealer test the unit - "failed". Was told to replace the unit at more than I paid for the bike $$$$.$$. I had them take it out and I broke the seal and opened it up - they said it was junk anyway. I have attached picture of the internals. I found the damaged board components and replace and jumpered the bad circuit board traces. I put it back together, had it retest (past) and reinstalled. 3 years now with no problems. (CAUTION) if you are not experienced with circuit board repairs - DO NOT! do this yourself - it is your life on the line here. It cost less than $40 in parts and several hours of my time @125.00 per hour - so about $280.00 in real time money. There are, in most locals, places that will repair circuit boards with NO guarantees. If you tell them that it is an ABS unit - they will not take it -Life safety and Legal liability. I do not either. You can see above the red and back wires were the circuit tract blew out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5160376 small.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	23721  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2018, 10:58 am Thread Starter
Noob

Just took the bike out to test the speedo figuring the most logical path forward would be to bypass the abs completely. But no speedo. So bypass doesnít appear to be an option..

The dealer can stilll get the unit. For $2795.80.

I bought this bike last year with 4021 miles on it. Itís still under 12k. I absolutely love this bike and honestly donít really care for anything else on the market at the moment (new). Totally lost here now with no idea what to do.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2018, 12:31 am
Noob

Garage
are You thinking of getting the dealer to do the work or do it your self? I put a second hand unit ( made sure the part numbers matched and no error codes) in my grandsons bike a year ago, running like a dream since. Paid $400 for the unit and zip for labour.

Alex.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2018, 5:23 am Thread Starter
Noob

If I could find a unit for $400 Iíd be over the moon. But at the moment Iím leaning toward an ABS-ectomy. Iíve got all the tupperware off the bike, Iíve watched videos and read threads, blogs, watched videos & digested the Cylmer manual. I have 100% confidence in the brakes less the abs unit. Many in fact claiming the bike feels better without. (I never had an issue until now). My main problem is the speedo/odo & brake lights. With all the plastic off, I unplugged the iABS unit and took a quick test ride - no change. The circuit board is fried.

So my plan is to get the brakes solid. There are several wiring diagrams online for making the brake lights work. I have some ideas on the speedo - Iíll post updates to this thread as I progress.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2018, 12:02 am
Noob

Garage
If you are not confident about trying to fix the circuit board aren’t you up for a replacement unit anyway just to get the lights & Speedo working.
What about sending your unit to the people that were trying to fix them, they would likely be able to fix a board, I think they were in Tennessee. Search on the ibmw site for iabs repairers. Or search for posts by Merlin Geikie, he was not ultimately successful but worth a try.

Alex

Alex.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2018, 10:02 am Thread Starter
Noob

If I could find a replacement board, or repair mine, that would be ideal. And the simplist retrofit. But either way, the abs-ectomy is happening. I’ve not only come to peace with it, but ultimately think it’s better knowing this $3000 grenade is no longer on the bike and can’t fail.

I just ordered 4 custom lines from spiegler. The abs kit consists of 6 lines, I only need the 2 front lower and the distribution box, the front and rear lines are custom. I’ll post pictures and the order with part numbers for others who find this thread..

The electronic part of this I’ll figure out once I have a rolling/stopping bike again. The brake lights are well documented, a couple of relays and you have brakes. The speedo is another story, but I have ideas. I’m hard-headed and I’m going to try to get the abs sensor (which is speed sensor!) in the rear to send a signal. I also ordered a $15 used speed sensor from an earlier kbike from eBay. No idea if it’ll work either, or if the reluctor is even correct, but it was $15 so who cares. It’ll either be stupid or brilliant. Other options include a gps speed sensor sending unit. Jegs has one for $115, with variable pps settings. I can’t find any documentation on what bmw used, but logic dictates that they didn’t need to reinvent the wheel here (who knows). Worst case, I’ll hack up the stock guages and install a gps speedo with odo in place if the original (least desirable option). But either way, brakes and lights gets me back on the road and my phone can give me speed for the meantime...

Last edited by ClancyO; Aug 8th, 2018 at 10:29 am. Reason: Spelling
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2018, 1:19 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Excellent news for you, the reader currently panicking because your iABS unit just died!!

I just called module masters in Idaho. They will be rebuilding the iABS units by the end of this month (Aug 2018). Call them now!!

For me - I’m already committed to the ‘ectomy. Custom lines arrive today and not only do I not want to wait, but I think I’ll rest easier knowing this can’t fail again. And I will send the control board to module masters, they are already repairing them. This greatly simplifies the speedo/brake light fix..

Last edited by ClancyO; Aug 9th, 2018 at 1:24 pm.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2018, 11:42 am Thread Starter
Noob

Update

Bike mostly back together, took a quick test ride just down the street (no traffic). Custom lines work out as planned. As I was packaging up the module to send it out it occurred to me to plug it in and test it just for giggles. And much to my surprise I was greeted with a blinking abs light and working brake lights!! So I commenced to fabricating an aluminum cover plate, sealed it up with rtv and let it it overnight. Next morning wrapped it in a rag and put in in the now giant empty spot and alas, solid light, no brake lights. Test ride aborted. Disassembled custom cover, tried again, brake lights! Several power cycles later, no brake lights. Did this several times, pretty much confirming and intermittent fault on the board. Module is in the mail on its way to module masters where they can hopefully repair it.

Iíve got a custom mount in progress and I should be able to get all the Tupperware back on so itís just a matter of securing the module when it comes back. Iíll post pictures when itís all said and done..

Tags
battery, iabs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode