K1200GT 2003 Side Stand Lean - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 11:35 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K1200GT 2003 Side Stand Lean

K1200GT 2003 Side Stand Lean - the angle of the lean frightens me some times. There are times on level ground that it seams like it is ready fall over. I have added a Wunderlich side stand enlargement plate with spikes. It has never rolled over but there are times it just does not look right to me. Any comment or thoughts on this? How are yours leaning. Also I use the center stand almost always 99.9% - but you got to get off to use the center stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2018, 8:19 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhirise View Post
K1200GT 2003 Side Stand Lean - the angle of the lean frightens me some times. There are times on level ground that it seams like it is ready fall over. I have added a Wunderlich side stand enlargement plate with spikes. It has never rolled over but there are times it just does not look right to me. Any comment or thoughts on this? How are yours leaning. Also I use the center stand almost always 99.9% - but you got to get off to use the center stand.
I'm not sure in the differences between K1200RS and K1200GT but my K1200RS I am not happy to use the sidestand at all - the bike is way too upright for my liking - to the point where a light breeze would have it over....

I'm planning on a cut and shut job on the sidestand to allow a little more lean

Cheers

Ian

97 K1200RS "Fixer Upper"
85 GPZ1000RX
85 GPZ600R
89 RG250 Gamma (heart transplant - 350 YPVS Blue smoke std)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2018, 2:52 pm
Noob

Where did you find the side stand enlarger? I’ve looked all over for them..

Nevermind. The search button on the top of the wunderlichamerica site will find it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2018, 10:34 am
Noob

Share your pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhirise View Post
My 08 has the same problem. I bought replacement parts and upon further investigation I now realize the problem is the collar bushes but also the space in the side is to big and must have shims to take up the slop. On the fix list
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2018, 1:50 pm
Noob

Ground down the stop

I got advice to simply grind down the stop to allow the side stand to travel further. It worked really well. Also I added a foot enlarger to the bottom of the side stand. Feel much better leaving it on the side stand now.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2018, 10:21 pm
MIK

I have 2003 K1200GT as well. Never had a problem with sidestand. Use it all the time. The only time I use centerstand when parked in my garage. The only minor issue is that it can be easy at times not fully extend the sidestand... I just make sure to kick it one extra time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw-001.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	23793  

Last edited by MIK; Aug 12th, 2018 at 10:30 pm. Reason: pic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode