Thoughts on buying a 2007 K1200GT? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2018, 8:04 am Thread Starter
mpk
Noob

Thoughts on buying a 2007 K1200GT?

Hi All-

New to this forum, also new to K bikes in general. I'm thinking of getting into sport touring, and have come across a 2007 K1200GT with 32K miles for around $4500. Before I decided to test ride, any thoughts on what I should be looking out for on this bike, particularly with this many miles? I'm also looking at a very low-mileage Guzzi Norge 1200 for around the same price. Different rides, for sure, but just thought I'd put it out there. Presently riding a Triumph Bonneville. Looking for more sportiness and the ability to do long distances.

Cheers-

M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2018, 3:12 pm
Noob

You want to ensure that the thing returns to idle at high ambient and operating engine temp; or otherwise that the air box has been replaced with one from 2009 and later. See all kinds of posts about the air box.
You want to ensure that the fuel level indicator is working honestly.
You want to know that the brake wear indicators have either been wired out or updated. I wired them out....
You want to know the operating state of the fuel return (charcoal..) canister. Many have rendered these and the vacuum arrangement that sucks threw them, ineffectual.
You want to know that there is no leakage of fuel from hoses and fittings under the tank.
You want to try the cruise control...Originally mine toggled the restrictor in the exhaust right around 3600 RPM and the cruise control would play it in and out and never find a steady throttle condition. Particularly noticeable when following behind a truck or on even slightly hilly roads.
You want to own or buy a full set of Torx drivers.

Its near a twin for my 2008 and I can tell you about what I have done and why: I should say I'm over 60 yrs, 6'-2 and weigh about 205, take a size-10.5 (US) shoe...

1) Found the peg location tough on my knees for long distance runs....made my own replacement pegs to offset down and forward. Have never touched the pegs on turning though the bike will certainly do it.
2) Even with the stock pegs I found the shift arm to be both sloppy and too close to the peg. I replaced the plastic bushing that effectively acts as shifter arm bearing with roller bearings that otherwise suited a skateboard, a stack of (4) bearings was required. I also extended and offset the shift arm so the tread was further forward; with the offset pegs about 1-1/4" extension required. Basically there was a section welded into the shift arm. This increases the shift arm throw but now I do not have to slide my foot completely off the peg to go from upshift to downshift.
3) A canisterectomy. Eliminating the charcoal fuel recovery canister connection to the fuel tank and the engine....Canister itself is still in place; plumbing different. These things are known to introduce charcoal bits into the injectors....
4) Drained and recharged rear drive housing with a little less of the (fresh) recommended fluid. See this forum...
5) There is a solenoid activated block on the throttle opening in first and second gear. Nominally the throttles will only open to about 60%. I rendered it ineffective...that had to be complemented by an ECU map update. The harder pull is evident between my bike and others similar though I almost always shift before the engine reaches 7500.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2018, 7:27 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpk View Post
Hi All-

New to this forum, also new to K bikes in general. I'm thinking of getting into sport touring, and have come across a 2007 K1200GT with 32K miles for around $4500. Before I decided to test ride, any thoughts on what I should be looking out for on this bike, particularly with this many miles? I'm also looking at a very low-mileage Guzzi Norge 1200 for around the same price. Different rides, for sure, but just thought I'd put it out there. Presently riding a Triumph Bonneville. Looking for more sportiness and the ability to do long distances.

Cheers-

M
traded mine for a 2016 GSA, but wish I still had it now, just ran out of garage space

cam chain recall
fuel level recall
front brake wires
rear suspension recall
change of windshield
abs pump rebuilt
fuel pump/flange recall
topbox is a good addition

loved the bike but worried about stuff as it aged, love my GSA as well https://www.k-bikes.com/forums/image...face_smile.png

kymshu

07 GT Blue
09 HD Ultra Red & Gold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2018, 5:55 am
Noob

I bought my 2007 from the original owner. He provided me with a complete service history, akk work done by Max BMW. I spoke to the service manager there, and bought it. I have had no issues! You can use your experience as a rider, and ask the seller to provide proof that all work was done on schedule and by a competent provider. The price looks reasonable, and don't worry about the mileage. That's not high for this bike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode