'98 K1200RS handlebar position - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ClancyO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2018, 10:37 am Thread Starter
Noob

'98 K1200RS handlebar position

At the risk of incurring wrath...

I'm trying to figure out how to "sportify" my K12Rs. I come from an aggressive sport riding background, and having finally accepted my age (or rather, having accepted my partner's demands to get something she can ride on the back of), I settled on this bike, and am pleasantly surprised that it offers plenty of power, is rock solid in the turns, and provides a seat she can comfortably ride along on.

I can't find any aftermarket parts (eg. rearsets) and have moved the stock footpegs to the "sport" position, and the bars to the most forward position. My problem is that it still feels as though my center of gravity is too far back and too high. When riding, if I rest my left arm on the flat part of the fairing below the bars, it feels more natural.

I'm wondering if it is possible to move the clip ons to below the top triple clamp. Has anyone done this?

Also, the controls are tilted back too far- putting my wrists in an uncomfortably "tilted back" position. I'm trying to figure out how to rotate them forward. There seems to be a set screw hidden somewhere?

Overall, I'm thrilled with this bike. It reminds me of my youth on a Z1R. I like the size, length, heaps of power, and really don't mind throwing the weight around- just would like to get a little more on top of it, so to speak.

Given its pedigree and heaps of power, I'm a little surprised no one has (apparently) found a way to strip weight and (gasp!) build an endurance racer...

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited by freccia; Aug 8th, 2018 at 10:44 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2018, 11:37 am
Noob

Not clip-ons, but this gets you to a traditional bar clamp setup opening the door to any imaginable bar configuration:

https://spieglerusa.com/controls/han...-kit-4234.html
freccia likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2018, 1:32 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by freccia View Post
At the risk of incurring wrath...

I'm trying to figure out how to "sportify" my K12Rs. I come from an aggressive sport riding background, and having finally accepted my age (or rather, having accepted my partner's demands to get something she can ride on the back of), I settled on this bike, and am pleasantly surprised that it offers plenty of power, is rock solid in the turns, and provides a seat she can comfortably ride along on.

I can't find any aftermarket parts (eg. rearsets) and have moved the stock footpegs to the "sport" position, and the bars to the most forward position. My problem is that it still feels as though my center of gravity is too far back and too high. When riding, if I rest my left arm on the flat part of the fairing below the bars, it feels more natural.

I'm wondering if it is possible to move the clip ons to below the top triple clamp. Has anyone done this?

Also, the controls are tilted back too far- putting my wrists in an uncomfortably "tilted back" position. I'm trying to figure out how to rotate them forward. There seems to be a set screw hidden somewhere?

Overall, I'm thrilled with this bike. It reminds me of my youth on a Z1R. I like the size, length, heaps of power, and really don't mind throwing the weight around- just would like to get a little more on top of it, so to speak.

Given its pedigree and heaps of power, I'm a little surprised no one has (apparently) found a way to strip weight and (gasp!) build an endurance racer...

Thanks in advance for any advice.

BMW have made 2 version of the clip-ons / bar risers for K1200RS. The 1st gen (1998-2001 for USA) has lower handlebars and the 2nd gen with face lift front fairing has higher bars. Both of these have splines so yo can more the bars froward or back a bit (up down at same time).

Since you bought the bike used (my understanding), are you sure you have the stock low setup from factory for a 1998 ??
See atached photo - the low version for a 1998-2001 is on top - this brings the bars almost as low as the triple clamp at lowest splines. The higher version for later models is below in photo.

I am surprised by your request... most riders found the factory setup for 1998-2001 quite low and agressive for such a sport-touring BMW - in particular it requires someone to have fairly long arms and torso (not my case) to be comfortable. Since 1998, 3rd party accessories suppliers have designed risers - not lowers like you are requesting. Hence I suspect there has been few request for such lower bars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS_Handle-bar_mount_stock (1997-2001).jpg
Views:	90
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	23739  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2018, 1:37 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
BMW have made 2 version of the clip-ons / bar risers for K1200RS. The 1st gen (1998-2001 for USA) has lower handlebars and the 2nd gen with face lift front fairing has higher bars. Both of these have splines so yo can more the bars froward or back a bit (up down at same time).

Since you bought the bike used (my understanding), are you sure you have the stock low setup from factory for a 1998 ??
See atached photo - the low version for a 1998-2001 is on top - this brings the bars almost as low as the triple clamp at lowest splines. The higher version for later models is below in photo.

I am surprised by your request... most riders found the factory setup for 1998-2001 quite low and agressive for such a sport-touring BMW - in particular it requires someone to have fairly long arms and torso (not my case) to be comfortable. Since 1998, 3rd party accessories suppliers have designed risers - not lowers like you are requesting. Hence I suspect there has been few request for such lower bars.
Hi John- thanks for your comment. Yes, I have the stock low setup, and as my arms and torso are indeed long, I find it still too high, and would like to find a way to lower the bars. I know there are plenty of solutions for risers, but am wondering if anyone has tried mounting the stock clip-ons below the top triple (or has seen it done).

Thanks again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode