Loose front rotor - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2018, 10:22 pm Thread Starter
MIK

Loose front rotor

Not sure how and why that happened, but right side rotor is loose All bolt are NOT loose.

Left side has some kind of spring washers, but on the right side the are all flat.

Any suggestions on what's the best course of action here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	618.7 KB
ID:	23771   Click image for larger version

Name:	left.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	23773  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2018, 2:57 pm Thread Starter
MIK

puzzled

I am puzzled. According to the parts diagram, there is a wave washer that must be installed between the disc and the roll pin (see pic attached). On both sides. I don't have any wave washers on the right side. Is it possible that all of them simply broke and fell out? All of them?

I replaced tires just a couple K miles ago and I would have noticed if the rotor was that loose. I guess, I'll order 5 wave washers and reinstall them... It just makes no sense that they are all gone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B0003301.png
Views:	26
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	23789  
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2018, 9:27 pm
Noob

Sounds like you've got a mix of generations of BMW discs there - one 'floating' and one not. Used to have dual floating on the old K1100RS - they're the ones with the 'bobbin' the screw goes thtough and the wave washers etc to try to stop the disk rattling... Guess they re-used them on the classic K12s too - but on my 2002 K1200RS both of the front discs are fixed, eg hard screwed, no wave washers etc. (come to think of it that's what I had on my 96 R1100GS too, so obviously they were using both types across multiple models at the same time).

HTH

Max
South Is, NZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2018, 8:42 pm Thread Starter
MIK

I reinstalled the missing wave washers, and immediately found that caliper is stuck on that side. Still don't understand how it would breaks the wave washers, but now I got to fix the caliper first. I've never done calipers on this bike. Any good how-to somewhere?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode