Did you have to grow to love your K-bike or was it instant? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2018, 2:51 am Thread Starter
Noob

Did you have to grow to love your K-bike or was it instant?

I'm REALLY curious...Was it true love from the very first test ride or did it have to develop over time? {like an arranged marriage-LOL}

If it did take you a while to really love your bike, I would be interested to know approximately how long (few days, weeks, years) and what were the issues or characteristics of the bike that you had to "grow to love" or at least learn to tune out/ignore?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2018, 6:25 am
Noob

Personally, It was instant love. But MOST bikes do that to me, so I may be the wrong person to ask.
jers97lt likes this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2018, 12:04 pm
Noob

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunternsf View Post
I'm REALLY curious...Was it true love from the very first test ride or did it have to develop over time? {like an arranged marriage-LOL}

If it did take you a while to really love your bike, I would be interested to know approximately how long (few days, weeks, years) and what were the issues or characteristics of the bike that you had to "grow to love" or at least learn to tune out/ignore?

I have always drooled over the K1200's, especially the LT's. The RS sitting on the honda dealers lot for 2500 had may attention. I test rode it and liked it, but didnt love it. Scary fast (to me.. I'm comparing to my last bike.. an 86 honda shadow 1100cc), little too tall at the inseam, etc. That was 1500 miles ago. I was in love with it by the end of the Saturday after I bought it (I bought it on a Friday). I still feel it will out accelerate my guardian angle from anything but 5th or 6th.. but I LOVE the highway passing ability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2018, 3:45 pm
Noob

Funny you should ask. I bought my 2001 K1200 used from a large seller of used bikes. I was looking for a replacement for my 98 Triumph Sprint. The K1200 was the only sport touring bike they had with bags. Initially I was turned off by the low riding position, the "comfort windshield" which directed the air directly to my helmet making my head buffet at speed, and "comfort seat" which slammed my twigs and berries into the tank. However, I had no idea what a great bike I bought. As I began to become one with the bike through daily commute riding and occasional road trips I realized quickly what a fantastic bike it is. I totally love it and feel it is the best bike I have ever owned. I fixed the two problems with aftermarket Ztechnik windshield and a Corbin seat. This is the perfect bike for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	overleanedme.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	828.2 KB
ID:	23879  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2018, 5:40 pm
Rookie

The indicator arrangement drives me nuts - it did last time I had a BMW - takes me ages to get used to it and then I go back to J-Bikes and I get equally nuts.

I love the spread of power - so easy to ride - gears don't matter

It's a big lump but it never feels like it is

I would like an earlier K100RS 16V or at a push a K1100RS but they seem to be going up in prices so a cheap K1200RS was a good cheap entry back into the BMW world

I have Champagne taste but a beer money budget

Cheers

Ian

97 K1200RS "Fixer Upper"
85 GPZ1000RX
85 GPZ600R
89 RG250 Gamma (heart transplant - 350 YPVS Blue smoke std)
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2018, 11:55 pm
Noob

Garage
Bought on a whim. Took almost 2 Plus years to really get comfortable with it. Mainly because I don't ride a lot. Way different than any bike I have every owned. Totally superior to my 84 Honda V65 Magna. Was tired of getting beat up.
Went on a 3 day ride last month with my cousin that lives in Washington. He brought down his 2017 B1600. I live in Oregon and we rode Forrest service roads to Eastern Oregon and the coast range. We had a blast. I put more miles on my bike in 3 days than total time on it last summer. I also pushed it far harder than I ever had before and now know what a beast of a bike it really is. It ran flawlessly and gave the impression it had plenty left to give. Hit the power band more than once and speed limits became suggestions. Have a real good feel for the suspension and handling after that adventure. So yeah, took a while but damn I do love this thing.
Fun Note. The B1600 Has a speed limiter. Hits the wall at 101mph. 03 K1200RS Don't. Just saying
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Toys.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	663.2 KB
ID:	23881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Turn for home 2.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	23883  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2018, 8:26 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunternsf View Post

A few days ago on my 65th i got my second BMW a 2008 K1200GT , beautiful bike , immaculate shape , from an older guy like me . 49,000 km ( 30000 miles ). Had many bikes , 77 Yamaha DT , Honda 750 , Honda CB900. Honda 350Xl, but now do not do much driving just short drives an hour or so with the wife.
My first BMW was a 1987 K100RT... ( 66,000 km ) I am giving that one away to my son .... a very reliable bike ....had it for many many years ...only once it did not start and I fixed the starter myself....tires.. oil.. battery...basic stuff ...most of it done myself 30 years or reliability . ( very strong engine ...open in third gear and hang on)

This new 2008 1200 gt is making me nervous when i read the reliability issues and cost of servicing .....some things never change my 87 seat was changed to a Corbin and this 2008 has the same poor support seat issue. But it sure looks nice . Wish me luck
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BMW K100RT 1987.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	461.9 KB
ID:	23885   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW K1200GT 2008.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	23887  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2018, 10:14 pm
Noob

Garage
From one old guy to another, ride it like ya stole it. . Don't know about you but these damned things can bring out the adolescents in ya that you didn't know you still had in ya.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2018, 5:52 pm
Noob

Your 03 K1200RS is more reliable than my 2008 GT . I agree with you ..both bikes with no bags are fun at certain speeds. A speed limiter is like a cow with a leg attached to its head ....!!!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2018, 2:58 am
Rookie

I had got permission from the wife to buy a bike so I test rode all sorts of bikes that year ď1998Ē the ST1100 was my choice right up until I walked into the Bmw shop here in Tulsa Atlas. Anyway I didnít even need to ride it I knew right there it was the bike for me. To this day I think itís the most beautiful bike out there. Not a sharp edge on her. She was red and died a horrible death but had 140K on the odometer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in