Starter problems? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2018, 11:21 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Starter problems?

Greetings all. I came into the possession of an '04 RS back in April this year. Only had about 7.5k miles on it. I've put about 5k miles on it since. It was garage kept and sat on a battery tender for long periods of time. Recommended maintainece was always done. I get it in April and keep it in covered outdoor parking. Bike ran great all summer. Fluids we're replaced in August. Recently, the starter has been a bit sluggish starting it up around noon to go to work but in the evening coming home I've had no issues. The other day, the starter spun once and then nothing. All the dash lights are on and the headlight is on, so the battery isn't to blame. I curse my misfortune and drive to work instead. I get home in the evening and havea thought to try starting it up again. Started up no problem. Made me more confused. Anyone have any thoughts as to why the starter is crap in the morning but not at night? I'm in Phoenix Arizona and the temperatures are between 70° and 85° right now.

tl;dr
starter won't work in the morning but works at night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2018, 8:31 am
Noob

It’s the battery. Mine did the same, all good, no sign of trouble and then turned over 2, 3 times and done. Battery wasn’t quite 2 years old, and it was on a bmw tender thru the colder months (though it still got ridden regularly). Be EXTREMELY careful changing the battery. The iABS module is right next to it and very sensitive.. ask me how I know.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2018, 10:55 am Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
I'll give thata whirl, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2018, 5:20 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClancyO View Post
It’s the battery. Mine did the same, all good, no sign of trouble and then turned over 2, 3 times and done. Battery wasn’t quite 2 years old, and it was on a bmw tender thru the colder months (though it still got ridden regularly). Be EXTREMELY careful changing the battery. The iABS module is right next to it and very sensitive.. ask me how I know.
I forgot my father had given me a battery tender when he packed up the bike for shipping. Hooked it up for about an hour and a half till it said more than 80% charged. Unhooked it, and she fired up just like normal. Still going to change the battery though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode