Speedo and evo brakes? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2018, 1:11 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Speedo and evo brakes?

Can any body please tell me with the evo brakes (integral abs) how is it the speedo works. Ie where is the speed sensed from front or rear and abs sensor. Any info would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2018, 7:20 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracsat View Post
Can any body please tell me with the evo brakes (integral abs) how is it the speedo works. Ie where is the speed sensed from front or rear and abs sensor. Any info would be appreciated
FIRST and foremost: the term "Evo brakes" has different meaning depending who is using it.

BMW has initially (around 2001) applied this term to the new ABS system having servos assisted modulator (using electrical motor to boost brake power hydraulically). These ABS modulator were also refered as "Intergral ABS system" made by FTE in Germany under contract for BMW. Variations of these have been used on K1200RS, K1200LT , K1200GT between 2001-2006 and also on most R1150 boxers models of the same era. Europe market got this new ABS design in 2001, BUT the USA market only got these as 2002 and later models.

Assuming your question was based on this type of ABS modulator the answer is:
Contrary to earlier models, the Integral-ABS system relies on a single rear wheel speed sensor for both function of Speedo AND also for ABS speed sensing. Earlier models (early k1200RS, K1200LT before 2001) had an additional speedo sensor bolted to the top of the rear-drive.

To work with a single rear wheel sensor for both functions, Integral-ABS modulator takes the signal of the rear brake sensor and converts the data to another format to be send to speedo. All this is done into an electronic board mounted on top of the modulator (where the large multi-pin connector enters).

There is no published data or specs about this speedo signal conversion, so in general when / If the ABS modulator is removed with its plumbing, you need to keep the top of the iABS modulator connected into the main harness so as to keep speedo signal (even if you loose the ABS capability). This part of the ABS modulator (the top circuit board) also manages the Front + Rear brake switches signal AND the rear night + brake light.

See this link for page 13 of a long thread about removing a similar modulator from a R1150 Boxer.
Page 13 will give you the main point above with pictures - if you care to read the whole thread be aware you are there for a very long time (220 post spread over 14 pages):
Simple, NO COST servo removal of 1150 IABS system - Page 13

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by sailor; Dec 9th, 2018 at 3:19 pm.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2018, 5:00 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracsat View Post
FIRST and foremost: the term "Evo brakes" has different meaning depending who is using it.

BMW has initially (around 2001) applied this term to the new ABS system having servos assisted modulator (using electrical motor to boost brake power hydraulically). These ABS modulator were also refered as "Intergral ABS system" made by FTE in Germany under contract for BMW. Variations of these have been used on K1200RS, K1200LT , K1200GT between 2001-2006 and also on most R1150 boxers models of the same era. Europe market got this new ABS design in 2001, BUT the USA market only got these as 2002 and later models.

Assuming your question was based on this type of ABS modulator the answer is:
Contrary to earlier models, the Integral-ABS system relies on a single rear wheel speed sensor for both function of Speedo AND also for ABS speed sensing. Earlier models (early k1200RS, K1200LT before 2001) had an additional speedo sensor bolted to the top of the rear-drive.

To work with a single rear wheel sensor for both functions, Integral-ABS modulator takes the signal of the rear brake sensor and converts the data to another format to be send to speedo. All this is done into an electronic board mounted on top of the modulator (where the large multi-pin connector enters).

There is no published data or specs about this speedo signal conversion, so in general when / If the ABS modulator is removed with its plumbing, you need to keep the top of the iABS modulator connected into the main harness so as to keep speedo signal (even if you loose the ABS capability).

See this link for page 13 of a long thread about removing a similar modulator from a R1150 Boxer.
Page 13 will give you the main point above with pictures - if you care to read the whole thread be aware you are there for a very long time (220 post spread over 14 pages):
Simple, NO COST servo removal of 1150 IABS system - Page 13
Thank you so much. Help me loads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2018, 8:36 pm
Noob

abs brakes

that speed signal from the ABS system is also needed for the Cruise control if you have it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2018, 4:40 pm
Noob

I did an iABS-ectomy over the summer and while i was uncertain as to whether or not the control module could be salvaged (it was - Module Masters in Idaho can likely fix yours if it's dead) I started formulating plan B. Many custom car parts places (Jegs/Summit) sell GPS bases speed sensors for hot rods, often with programmable pulse rates. My plan B, never enacted, was to buy one of those and experiment. The wiring diagram only shows 2 wires going to the speedo... Plan C was to hack up the console and add a gps speedo. Fortunately, MM fixed my control unit and I have factory speedo. (That box ALSO controls your brake lights - so if that's what you are working around, you have more than just a speedo to fix.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode