Anyone tried high tyre pressures on old K1200? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2018, 9:07 am Thread Starter
Noob

Anyone tried high tyre pressures on old K1200?

Good day from South Africa; hoping to make online friends your side of the Pond.

Being nostalgic for the Circa-2000 generation I'm eyeing a (very) secondhand K1200 RS or GT of the inline "flying brick" type, 1997-2004.

I recall reading on a UK forum (can't find it) these inline 1200s handle better with very high tyre pressures. The figure quoted was 4 bar/56 psi (!), front and rear.

The poster claimed this to have come from Bridgestone UK's technical dept. However, the bridgestone.co.uk website says nothing about this and quotes recommended pressures of around 3 bar/42 psi.

I'm 1,75 m/5 ft 9, weigh 80 kg/175 lb. South Africa is a hot climate country with previously-excellent roads, now lesser so, and rather - ahem - flexible law enforcement, which means we can get away with insane speeds. On my current Bandit I occasionally do short bursts of 220-240 km/h /130-140 mph, in hot summers and mild (above freezing) winters. I expect the exact same with a K1200 RS or GT.

Has anyone else been advised to bump up tyre pressures?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2018, 5:03 pm

I would never exceed the tire manufacture's maximum allowable tire pressure. 42psi is pretty high as it is. Maybe 45psi if the tire is rated for it. 56(!) is way to high, that's the kind of psi used to set the bead during a tire change. I always found the front-end weight bias of the K bikes, combined with the telelever front suspension, to be very hard on the front tire. Always cupped it so badly I had to change it out with plenty of tread left. Let us know what tires you end up running and how it goes. Always willing to learn from the practical experience of others.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2018, 9:00 am
Noob

After three K1200RS/GT with almost a quarter million miles the best tires pressure (PSI) is 42 in the rear and 40 in front. Lower tire pressure will cause cupping, uneven wear, and poor handling.

Last edited by K1200gts; Dec 27th, 2018 at 10:06 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2018, 9:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1200gts View Post
After three K1200RS/GT with almost a quarter million miles the best tires pressure (PSI) is 42 in the rear and 40 in front.
Me too. 40/42 Front/rear. I check it every two weeks or prior to every ride, whichever is longer. I also have my Wilbers shocks set up with a slightly higher ride height on the rear to place a bit more weight on the front. This works very well for when the bike is loaded up for touring, which is its main purpose. It heightens the "sport" part of sport touring. I've never had any problems with tire cupping. My tires of preference are Michelin, Dunlop, and Metzler, in that order, and whichever is 1) available, and 2) cheapest, at time of purchase. I choose the softer compounds over the harder ones.

' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' '
John Filak - Dallas, Texas

'01 K1200RS '01 R1100S '02 R1150RS
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2018, 11:56 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thank you.

Any dealmaking/breaking difference between RS and GT?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2018, 12:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Luntz View Post
Thank you.

Any dealmaking/breaking difference between RS and GT?
Speaking for myself, yes, of course. Which is why I don't own, or ever will own, a GT.

This is personal preference, so any deeper discussion could easily result in a flame war. Let's not go there.

I'm not aware of any tire pressure related differences between the two models, however.

' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' '
John Filak - Dallas, Texas

'01 K1200RS '01 R1100S '02 R1150RS
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2019, 6:48 am
Noob

Have to agree with previous replies.
Its a heavy bike and 40psi on the front transforms the handling by a large degree.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode