Panniers / saddlebags - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2019, 3:58 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Panniers / saddlebags

Hi all,
I have a 2003 K1200GT that I bought used and didn't come with the hard panniers / saddlebags. I'm having a hell of a time replacing them and came across a place that sells OEM bags for a K1200RS.

From what I've read, the bikes are nearly identical, so is it safe to say that the KRS bags will fit my KGT?

Do or will I need any special mounting hardware?

How do I know if I already have all the mounting hardware still attached? It looks like I've only got "grab handles". Should there be any sort of brackets that extend down that would support the panniers/bags towards their bottom?

Thanks for any insight or even pics that you can share!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2019, 5:06 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi all,
I have a 2003 K1200GT that I bought used and didn't come with the hard panniers / saddlebags. I'm having a hell of a time replacing them and came across a place that sells OEM bags for a K1200RS.

From what I've read, the bikes are nearly identical, so is it safe to say that the KRS bags will fit my KGT?

How do I know if I already have all the mounting hardware still attached? It looks like I've only got "grab handles". Should there be any sort of brackets that extend down that would support the panniers/bags towards their bottom?

The 2003-2005 K1200GT have the same frame and panniers system as all K1200RS. The only difference is that the panniers lid were polycarbonate black AND optional on K1200RS. On the other hand, the K1200GT came from factory with panniers as std equipment - in addition they had their lid / cover color matched to the fairing (not black like K1200RS).

Any panniers set from a K1200RS will fit your K1200GT. These are getting harder to find on used market in good shape. Occasionaly , I see some for sale on EBAY - however in many cases they are not in very good shape (too many low speed drops I guess...)

The mounting system consist of 2 (left / right) very robust plastic rail on each side just below seat. Same system , same color is used on all K1200RS and K1200GT (2003-2005). In the following video, you can see the users installing the panniers onto these rails (between 20 and 45 seconds from beginning). You should be able to see if indeed your K1200GT has these black rails.

Do not be concerned with the fact video shows an early model of K1200RS (1998-2001 for USA) having a different front end / nose fairing. The pannier and mounts are the same for all K1200RS of both generation (for USA market: 1st gen 1998-2001 and 2nd gen 2002-2005).

If needed, you can buy the mounting kit for panniers (2 rails) from your dealer at roughly $160. You now need to buy the 2 rails and the bolts separately as the mounting parts AS-A-KIT is no longer available.
See this page from MAX-BMW parts fiche:
https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/Diagra...er=46547670517

I also see used rails from parted K1200RS on EBAY show up quite often for a lot less than new. Be careful and study the pictures before buying as these rails have a tendency to take some slack over a long period of usage (wear at attaching points).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 95,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Feb 5th, 2019 at 5:12 pm.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2019, 6:51 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Quote:
Hi all,

The 2003-2005 K1200GT have the same frame and panniers system as all K1200RS. The only difference is that the panniers lid were polycarbonate black AND optional on K1200RS. On the other hand, the K1200GT came from factory with panniers as std equipment - in addition they had their lid / cover color matched to the fairing (not black like K1200RS).

Any panniers set from a K1200RS will fit your K1200GT. These are getting harder to find on used market in good shape. Occasionaly , I see some for sale on EBAY - however in many cases they are not in very good shape (too many low speed drops I guess...)

The mounting system consist of 2 (left / right) very robust plastic rail on each side just below seat. Same system , same color is used on all K1200RS and K1200GT (2003-2005). In the following video, you can see the users installing the panniers onto these rails (between 20 and 45 seconds from beginning). You should be able to see if indeed your K1200GT has these black rails.

Do not be concerned with the fact video shows an early model of K1200RS (1998-2001 for USA) having a different front end / nose fairing. The pannier and mounts are the same for all K1200RS of both generation (for USA market: 1st gen 1998-2001 and 2nd gen 2002-2005).

If needed, you can buy the mounting kit for panniers (2 rails) from your dealer at roughly $160. You now need to buy the 2 rails and the bolts separately as the mounting parts AS-A-KIT is no longer available.
See this page from MAX-BMW parts fiche:
https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/Diagra...er=46547670517

I also see used rails from parted K1200RS on EBAY show up quite often for a lot less than new. Be careful and study the pictures before buying as these rails have a tendency to take some slack over a long period of usage (wear at attaching points).
THANK YOU!!

This is all the info I need and the video was just an added bonus! Saved me a ton of headache trying to research all of this. Greatly appreciated!! 🙏
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2019, 7:22 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
THANK YOU!!

This is all the info I need and the video was just an added bonus! Saved me a ton of headache trying to research all of this. Greatly appreciated!! 🙏
Glad to help. Even more so when the reader is back to say thank you - something that I see less-and-less during last 10 years on many forums...

BY THE WAY, if you buy a set of panniers at a distance based on cheap photos only (like EBAY), be very careful as some mis-informed seller will show panniers that are similar but will not fit a K1200RS / K1200GT.

Because they look somewhat similar, they will sometimes sell used R1150 or R1100 panniers as compatible to K1200RS.
This is incorrect as the panniers base are specific to K1200RS (all years) / K1200GT (2003-2005) only - although the outside lid are interchangeable with many "boxers" models of 1995-2003 period.

See attached photo for an example of the muffler side...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS_Luggage_Side-cases compare to R1100.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	24183  

John (Montreal, CANADA)
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Feb 6th, 2019 at 8:39 am.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2019, 7:31 pm
Noob

The side bags do exist, but expensive. $795 each side. It comes in what ever color you needed pre-painted.

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/Diagra...8&rnd=07242017

The 2003 K1200GT's came with the hard bags, so your's probably met the usual bumps and bruises. I keep bumping mine on the fence gate.

Of interest, to repaint and make whole costs around $300 each at my local auto paint shop. You can paint them yourself for the cost of glue repair and paint.

Just mentioning this. Regards

Last edited by jrmull; Feb 7th, 2019 at 7:41 pm.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2019, 9:00 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmull View Post
The side bags do exist, but expensive. $795 each side. It comes in what ever color you needed pre-painted.

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/Diagra...8&rnd=07242017

The 2003 K1200GT's came with the hard bags, so your's probably met the usual bumps and bruises. I keep bumping mine on the fence gate.

Of interest, to repaint and make whole costs around $300 each at my local auto paint shop. You can paint them yourself for the cost of glue repair and paint.

Just mentioning this. Regards
Be careful how you interpret the BMW parts fiche for the K1200GT panniers (2003-2005 models):
The price of $US 795 if for a PAINTED COVER ONLY, not for the whole sidecase / pannier. Item 2 on MAX parts fiche proper diagram - look both at diagram and parts list / price below diagram:
https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/Diagra...er=46547672187

On the other hand, the std K1200RS pannier complete with plain black cover would cost you $388 each side (item 1 in fiche below). Of course, for used motorcycle, most buyer would probably opt for this instead of paying $795 for just the cover... NOTE that you also need to buy the kit of cylinder-Keys at $46 (item 4) and have these matched to your ignition key (not very difficult).
https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/Diagra...er=71607669885

John (Montreal, CANADA)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode