1Likes
  • 1 Post By dnldcs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2019, 12:19 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
No power to rear wheel

Good morning everyone,

I bought by '04 K1200GT about a month ago. I was riding and I started having to increase power to maintain speed. over a period of 10 minutes it got worse and worse until no amount of power would get me any speed. I took it my usual bike mechanic (not a BMW guy) and his quoting me $1K just in labor He thinks it is the clutch. I am reluctant on his opinion and would like too see what you guys think as far as diagnosing this issue and the price for labor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2019, 10:27 pm

It does sound like the clutch slipping for sure with those symptoms. How many miles on the bike? A dead give-away is oil leaking around the seam between the transmission housing and the engine housing. The usual problem is engine oil gets past the o-ring seal and fowls the clutch plates. I have heard that it is possible to drill a small hole in the bottom of the clutch housing a spray cleaner into the clutch housing to wash off the oil contamination. This "quick fix" gives the owner a few more months of use out of the clutch assembly. Replacement of the o-ring seal or full clutch replacement is a big and expensive job on the K bikes. $2000 is not an unusual cost from a dealer. Take it to someone who is familiar with BMW dry clutches. Ask around. They will be better able to diagnose your problem.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2019, 10:44 pm

I found this article about the rear main seal leak. Thought you might like to read it. It give you an idea of whats involved in the repair. Good luck, I think these bikes are worth the effort and occasional expense to keep running.

https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topi...-leak-k1200rs/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2019, 8:51 pm
Noob

Garage
Barnett clutch plates for your bike is about $160.00. Typical BMW labor rates being about $135.00 per hour, I would say you could get the whole job done at the dealership for $1200.00 or so. You could do it yourself, fairly simple job if you have the time and patience to do so. Pretty straight forward.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2019, 6:58 pm
Addict

I'm afraid you have experienced the 'epic' o-ring failure of the rear main seal. This is an inherent problem. You will now need a new clutch plate, and removal of everything behind the the engine to install it. Been there, done that. All because BMW installed an o-ring that was not petroleum resistant. Viton o-ring fixes the problem...once you get it all apart.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2019, 9:17 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Sorry I haven't responded, I thought I would get an email if someone replied. Here is my latest from another forum:

Alright boys and girls, here is the down and dirty...I got screwed on the buy, clutch seems to have almost to the point of failure when I got it. Here are some pics of the clutch. No oil to be seen anywhere. Parts ordered from Motoworks instead of Motobins, they were cheaper by about 54 GBP, so 70 bucks give or take, all in all not bad on the price, saved me roughly 50% or 316 bucks WITH shipping from across the pond. Parts should be here by next Monday, so I think I'll be back on the road in 2 weeks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0783.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	672.6 KB
ID:	24189   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0784.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	552.1 KB
ID:	24191   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0785.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	688.1 KB
ID:	24193  
Beech likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2019, 6:37 pm

I don't see where you said how many miles are on the bike. I would think you should have the o-ring seal mentioned replaced while the bike is opened up, as well as any other seals (clutch slave?) that are in there. You'd hate to have to go through all this again in 12 months. The o-ring rear main seal is cheap insurance...do it now.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 10:18 am Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingBrick View Post
I don't see where you said how many miles are on the bike. I would think you should have the o-ring seal mentioned replaced while the bike is opened up, as well as any other seals (clutch slave?) that are in there. You'd hate to have to go through all this again in 12 months. The o-ring rear main seal is cheap insurance...do it now.
oh ya..main real seal is getting replaced. bought with 42,XXX Miles about a month ago, 45,XXX Miles currently.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2019, 11:16 am Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
All fixed up! She is back on the road and in better condition than when i bought her. BTW for the 1K labor, my mechanic did the clutch replacement but also 1. engine oil change 2. Transmission oil chnage 3. Flushed the Clutch lines 4. Flushed the brake lines, and 5. full detail on the bike. All in all, not a bad deal I think.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2019, 3:08 pm

Sounds like you have a very fair mechanic. Not a bad deal at all, should go to 100,000 (or close) before it ever becomes a problem again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode