Headlamp assembly - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2019, 4:39 pm Thread Starter

Headlamp assembly

Has anyone here had experience with the Chinese reproduction head lamp assemblies for the K bikes? Not unexpected, BMW wants $800 bucks for the assembly. The knock-offs are about a third that much. They do update the look to current standards by using a clear lens and the reflector to focus the beam, which would be a nice update, but only if it fits without the "usual" made-in-china quality issues. Anybody?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2019, 7:01 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingBrick View Post
Has anyone here had experience with the Chinese reproduction head lamp assemblies for the K bikes? Not unexpected, BMW wants $800 bucks for the assembly. The knock-offs are about a third that much. They do update the look to current standards by using a clear lens and the reflector to focus the beam, which would be a nice update, but only if it fits without the "usual" made-in-china quality issues. Anybody?
I would stay away as I have not heard anything good or bad from it YET ... although I visit 3 different K1200RS / K1200LT forums for last 15 years. I would hate to be the 1st guinea pig here...

As an alternative, you can find some good price from reputable vendor on EBAY for a used OEM units - source is mainly parted K1200RS (all years) OR any K1200GT (2003-2005 only).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 95,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Mar 18th, 2019 at 4:36 pm.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2019, 12:38 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingBrick View Post
Can you provide a link to the item you found? I would like to review it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2019, 8:19 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmull View Post
Can you provide a link to the item you found? I would like to review it.
I do NOT recommend buying these, but they are easy to find on EBAY if you care to try. Buyer beware ;-)
The OP (Rollingbrick) might have found a few more - I found these easily:

1) This one sold by a USA vendor, but obviously this means nothing as he could just be an importer from the same CHINA stuff. Note the remarks attached to this ad:
- No installation instructions, Bulbs not included,
- Not DOT Approved, for off road use only
Of course, the last sentence is just legal jargon because otherwise he would be harass by DOT for selling stuff not certified like OEM headlight is.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-Hea...QAAOSwYGFU1Qz~

2) This one will probably NOT fit a K1200RS/GT as they only say K1200 (2005-2009).
You have to read between the lines AND ALSO be aware that the K1200LT of 2005-2009 had a different headlight than earlier versions - these have separate headlight assy for Low and High beam (contrary to earlier version having both bulbs in same unit like K1200RS)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...QAAOSw1u9bvcqC

John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 95,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Mar 20th, 2019 at 12:16 pm.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 6:37 am
Rookie

Try ebay or used OEM part suppliers. I rebuilt my 04 GT with them and You just need to paint to match. There are lots of them out there.Not sure I would trust the Chinese knock offs.

Rick Mead
2004 K1200GT Orient Blue
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 11:14 am
Noob

I have had good luck searching the Internet for used K 1200 RS parts. Either through Beamer boneyard or the other businesses that are stripping bikes for parts and selling them over the Internet as a business with a physical location & not through eBay. When you find a new headlight assembly I would change the low beam out to an HID bulb kit. You can get a kit for the highbeam also but the wiring is more complicated and I find the standard highbeam bulb is fine & not worth the hassle or the cost of the upgrade. Then while you’re at it I would get some scotch locks and cut a piece of plexiglass, sand the edges smooth and install plexiglass standoff headlight protector with 12 round tapeed scotch locks 6 on your protector & then 6 on the headlight assembly and attach. Good insurance against future damage !

Last edited by Danw; Mar 23rd, 2019 at 11:20 am.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2019, 8:46 pm Thread Starter

The scotch locks and plexiglass is a very good idea I will keep in mind. It's even more important on the new BMW bikes that come with the LED headlamp assembly. The head light cannot be repaired and must be replaced as an assembly. Just make sure you are sitting down when you price one from BMW...$1800 give or take a few dollars!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode