Clutch or transmission problem? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2019, 12:27 pm Thread Starter

Clutch or transmission problem?

My '98 RS recently was put back on the road after sitting for 8 years. My friend and mechanic took care with replacing oil, coolant and brake fluids.

I went for my first "long" ride yesterday, and about 30 minutes in (after being behind some 1st gear slow traffic), I shifted to 2nd gently, and then gave it a good twist. It accelerated, and then felt like the rear tire was spinning. Backed off the power. Then up shifted to 3rd, and gave it some power, same thing.

My friend (not mechanical) said there was a puff of white smoke that smelled funny.

I took it easy on the way home. Near home (actually, near my mechanic's home) I tried to reproduce the issue and could not.

Anyone know what might have happened?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2019, 7:28 pm
Enthusiast

clutch is not 'locking up'

Mike Kelly

Triple M Engineering

K12RS

Stanley, NC
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2019, 7:45 pm

Sounds like your clutch plates are oil contaminated. O-ring goes bad allowing oil to leak into the clutch housing. Not uncommon on the K series bikes with mid to high miles. Big job to fix, I'm afraid to say. A BMW dealer would want almost as much as the bike is worth to repair. You need to find a mechanic that has experience with the K bike dry clutch architecture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2019, 8:00 pm

I forgot to mention, a tell-tale sign of an oiled clutch: As centrifugal force slings the oil off the clutch plate, that oil will begin to leak from around the seam where the clutch housing joins up to the engine.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2019, 5:25 pm
Rookie

Sounds like the dreaded rear engine seal. Probably leaked oil into the clutch and destroyed the clutch plate.$$$$$

Rick Mead
2004 K1200GT Orient Blue
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2019, 11:16 pm
Rookie

Yup, a 19x4mm oring that seals the clutch housing to the block. The main seal is generally just fine. But the problem is getting to the little bugger. Back half of the bike comes off, remove intake system, lower the back of the engine start taking things off. All rubber bits need replacing like intake orings, crank case breather, transmission seals etc. A big job. But the good news is if you use a Viton oring to replace the OEM one you will never have to do this again and you have your bike back. It is a 1500$ job minimum. Or research and you can do it with your OEM dvd and the after market service book you have. PM me and I'll send you a free viton oring if you want one. beech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode