03 K1200RS "Euro" headlight switch not working? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2019, 10:59 am Thread Starter
Noob

03 K1200RS "Euro" headlight switch not working?

Hello All

I have a 2003 US K1200RS, which is currently apart for maintenance/upgrades. I purchased the "Euro" style headlight switch from BMW to install, in order to get the headlight control. When I tried the new switch on the bike, it seems to partially work, but not completely.. does anyone know if there is another part (like a relay) that must be switched out as well to make the switch work properly?

I did this mod on my 1985 K100RS about 10 years ago. It was plug-n-play and worked perfectly without any other modifications. I know the K12 is a more complex machine, and the differences between Euro/US models
can cause issues. Before I take the next step in diagnosing, I want to make sure I'm not missing something simple. I have owned 3 BMW cars and 2 BMW bikes in the last 20 years, so I'm used to dealing with finicky German machines

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2019, 10:38 am Thread Starter
Noob

Update - Did a bit of testing. Hadn't had the ignition on in a few days, but when I turned the key, the "euro" switch worked fine, all functions work, headlight/dimmer works. After a minute or two, the switch would not work properly. Lights would not come on, blinking telltales, high beam telltale stays lit even though headlights aren't on, etc. This was the issue I had before.

Possibly low battery? Enough juice when you turn the key, but after a minute, not enough to work?
I put a brand new BMW battery in the bike about a month ago, and connected it for testing. Maybe something drained it?

Possibly a loose relay? Or, when ignition is turned on, power starts to flow through something, causes it to heat up, after a minute or so, connection breaks?

I'm going to let it sit for a day or so and try again to see if I get the same results. I want to check the relays to make sure they aren't loose, etc.

Thanks!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2019, 7:43 pm
Noob

03 K1200RS "Euro" headlight switch not working?

Did you check the battery?
It should be close to 12.6 V if it's charged.
Close to 14V when engine running/charging. +/- .5V
Measure it again when your dimming condition re-occurs, is the voltage the same? Lower?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2019, 9:08 am
Veteran

All signs point to a dirty ignition "electrical component" :

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=48100

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode