New K1200RS TO ME - TIRES AND ADVICE? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2019, 10:42 am Thread Starter
Noob

New K1200RS TO ME - TIRES AND ADVICE?

Hi All,

New to the forum here. Purchased a '98 K1200RS with 15K Miles this January and just completed a trip to Big Bend with my father!

When we got home I realized I had a small screw in my tire tread, I decided to plug it but have since read that it is dangerous to continue to ride on it plugged?

Curious at what people on here believe? Additionally, if I replace what tire should I get?

Lastly any other tips for a new K1200RS owner?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	file2-2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	24419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dad Big bend.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	24421   Click image for larger version

Name:	file-8.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	24423   Click image for larger version

Name:	file1-3.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	24425  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2019, 4:04 am
Noob

Welcome! Great looking bike - I have a twin to your dad’s bike, a 2002. Just my opinion but I never take chances with tires on a motorcycle. A flat on a car is inconvenient, but a flat on a bike could be serious trouble. I run Metzelers on my K12 and like them. Unless it was done recently I would do a full fluid service including coolant flush and brake/clutch fluid. My bike was treated to a set of Spiegler braided stainless brake hoses and a full system check and flush at an authorized dealer. Regular brake system maintenance will help preserve the complex and costly brake system. Upgrading the quick disconnect fuel fittings at the tank would be wise if the plastic ones are still on the bike. These are great machines - enjoy! 😉
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2019, 9:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelyneat View Post
Welcome! Great looking bike - I have a twin to your dadís bike, a 2002. Just my opinion but I never take chances with tires on a motorcycle. A flat on a car is inconvenient, but a flat on a bike could be serious trouble. I run Metzelers on my K12 and like them. Unless it was done recently I would do a full fluid service including coolant flush and brake/clutch fluid. My bike was treated to a set of Spiegler braided stainless brake hoses and a full system check and flush at an authorized dealer. Regular brake system maintenance will help preserve the complex and costly brake system. Upgrading the quick disconnect fuel fittings at the tank would be wise if the plastic ones are still on the bike. These are great machines - enjoy! 😉
I agree-I wouldn't ride with a plugged tire. The other maintenance recommendations are also a good idea. Only disagreement: I have found Michelin Pilot Road series tires wear much better than Metzlers on my '03 GT. I've used them for many years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 6:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Fischer View Post
When we got home I realized I had a small screw in my tire tread, I decided to plug it but have since read that it is dangerous to continue to ride on it plugged?
I ride with plugs in car tires. I wouldn't do the same on a motorcycle--there is too much potential for danger already.

Until you get the tire replaced, I'd inspect the damaged area every single time before you ride.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 7:50 pm
Noob

Hey Jordan,
Welcome to the forum!

I was just out in Big Bend a few weeks ago.
It sure was nice other than being sorta busy.

Here's what I'd do:
Plug that rear tire ............. and then swap it with the one from Dad's bike when he's not looking!
You're welcome & happy to help! LOL

Seriously, it depends on how much tread is remaining as to how I handle a puncture.
If it's a new tire, I take it off and install one of the plug/patch fixes that looks like a witches hat.
If it's a well worn tire, I just usually swap it our and dispose of it.
If it's somewhere in between, I will plug it and ride it until I get back home and then decide how to handle it.

I've ridden plugged tires for lots of miles. I'd recommend to invest some time & practice plugging on an old tire where you can see what's going on "inside" the tire. There's a technique where you can give the plugging tool a "twist" as you remove the tool and leave the cord plug. (I don't use buttons ..... just the rubber inpregnated cords.) Once you get a feel for doing that, it'll leave a small "wad" of the cord that will not come out under any circumstances. Once it cures it get's pretty hard. I also carry a spare container of rubber cement with me and I use it sparingly after I've reamed the hole, and I apply it to the cord to be inserted. The rubber cement cleans the reaming tool, and it lubricates the cord/insertion tool. It's like anything else ........ practice and learn. BTW, I ride quite a bit ........ and I can't afford to toss perfectly good tires just because they got a puncture.

Good luck and safe riding!
RD
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2019, 2:23 pm

As Robert says, a mushroom type plug can last a long time. The string-type "gummy rope" plugs can be thrown out at speed, but I've never heard of a tire failure from a proper plug repair. A lot might depend on the type of riding you intend to do. Track days? Forget it! Two up high speeds across the desert? Probably not. Solo rides and sane speeds, the plug should last the life of the tire. I have an old Moto Guzzi that picked up a nail about a week after I installed a new rear tire on it. I plugged it with a mushroom plug and forgot about it. That was over a year ago. The bike doesn't get ridden much, so I suspect the tire will need replacement from age before the plug gives out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode