Difference between an LT and GT right handlebar ccntrol switch. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2019, 3:49 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Difference between an LT and GT right handlebar ccntrol switch.

I have a 2003 k1200GT and the right hand;lebar control switch is busted beyond recognition. and the mirror hole is broke off the brake master cylinder. The control for the GT is very rare but could I use an LT control switch? Seems the brake master cylinder is common between the GT and the LT so I'm guessing the throttle will work the same... what is the difference and has anyone replaced the GT switch with an LT switch??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2019, 4:28 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I just looked closer at my mess of a switch and it looks like there are two rocker switches, The grip heater rocker switch is there and there's terminals from a missing rocker switch right next to the grip heater switch. This rocker has a Black/white wire on one tab and an orange wire to a tab and then there's a grey wire and a green/purple wire just hanging.. The Clymer manual electrical diagram isn't too clear as the multifunction switch is represented as a box with 12 wires going to it and some are grouped and two are connected right next to the switch. I think the Clymer electrical diagram is wrong also because it only shows a green/white going to the grip heaters and a green/purple going to the seat heater.. I know the grips have two heat settings I suspecte two wires for two elements) and under my seat I have a 3 wire connector half with brown (ground?), grey, and black/white. I suspect the orange wire in the right control multifunction switch is the power for seat heater and then it sends it out to the grey and the black/white. I can test this but again, does an LT right control multifunction switch have a seat heater switch? HMMM, I just found the seat heater circuit diagram and it shows the green/purple bringing the switched power to the seat heater switch.. so that orange wire goes to something else.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2019, 7:24 pm Thread Starter
Noob

alternate right control combination switches

Looks like the LTs don't have the seat heater swith on the right handlebar but I just found a K1200GT 2008 right control on ebay and it has the grip heater and the seat heater. I'm wondering if it has all the same signal wires as my 2003 and will physically bolt up to my brake master (or if I can use the 2006 -2008 front brake master and th8 the right control switch (and if that will work with my throttle assy or I I can use the 08 throttle assembly. I figure if all the signal wires are there I might only need to rewire the connectors.. I did see that the 06-08 front brake master cylinder does not cross over to the 2003...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2019, 7:26 pm Thread Starter
Noob

other K bike forums with more tech support for the classic k1200GT??

Am I on the best forum? I saw a BMW of America forum which is a pay membership and I would pay if it has more members working on the old bikes..
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2019, 8:40 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
The BMWMOA site has a lot of very knowledgeable folks. I am a member

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2019, 6:14 pm
Noob

If I were you I would get a whole new used switch cluster it will come with all the wires connected to a plug which plugs into the junction box on the lower right side of the bike. You’ll need to take the mirror off to get to the last screw to pull the covers off.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 9:27 pm
Rookie

Hi Gary-NJ,

I also am a BMWMOA member. These guys went to great lengths to advise me on basic repairs and maintenance. BMWMOA is a club with club events, magazine, volunteer access while traveling along with a web forum that is generally a public forum.

Regarding your part, many of the parts used in 2003 are shared on later bikes. I think I would take a part number and do search in that manner.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select

This web site lets you take your VIN number and locate part numbers for the thing you are replacing. Search using the part number and It might cross reference to other bike years and models. Maybe that will help you. Regards John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode