'02 k1200RS with non-working cruise - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sailor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2019, 11:36 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
'02 k1200RS with non-working cruise

I bought my K12 in August. I took it out for a nice highway run and found I couldn't set the cruise.

Not having owned a BMW, how difficult is it to trouble shoot a cruise issue? I bought a Clymer manual, so I have all the electrical diagrams.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2019, 5:42 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by t100angel View Post
I bought my K12 in August. I took it out for a nice highway run and found I couldn't set the cruise.

Not having owned a BMW, how difficult is it to trouble shoot a cruise issue? I bought a Clymer manual, so I have all the electrical diagrams.

Thanks.
The cruise-control main unit has been very reliable (in general) - most issues are related to many micro-switches (clutch, brakes and throttle ramp). To help troubleshoot the system, they have included a simple/crude diagnostic mode in the system.

See this link on YouTube for a troubleshooting tutorial:
http://youtu.be/2ov3-jdII6A?hd=1

When I did this video in 2011, I was convinced that Video was the best medium to convey all the information I had in mind. HOWEVER, I am well aware that it is not the best way to keep this info available near your toolbox or your shop manual to run the steps in the garage.

To compensate for this, I have attached a text summary (in PDF format) with this message.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf K1200_CruiseConrol_troubleshooting(version 1-3).pdf (362.3 KB, 23 views)
t100angel likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 11:17 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Thanks much. When I slide the switch I do see a red light under the slider. Is a red light normal or does that indicate an issue?

I'm in the process of sanding down scratches in the faring so I can prime and paint it. Once that's done it goes in for a safety inspection after the crash.

So excited to get out on the road this year.

T100angel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 8:18 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by t100angel View Post
Thanks much. When I slide the switch I do see a red light under the slider. Is a red light normal or does that indicate an issue?

I'm in the process of sanding down scratches in the faring so I can prime and paint it. Once that's done it goes in for a safety inspection after the crash.

So excited to get out on the road this year.

T100angel.
YES , the REd LED light under cruise ON-OFF (slider switch) is normal.
Did you follow the video and printed pages instructions to execute the diagnostic routine ? This should give you a good starting point where to look to solve the issue.

OF COURSE, no one will care about the cruise-control working or not for the safety inspection ;-)

John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 4:39 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
I have not yet. I'm working on faring repairs after a minor crash. The cruise, while nice, is not highest priority. Getting faring back on the bike, and a safety check come first. Then I will troubleshoot the cruise.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode