What could have happened??? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2019, 8:51 pm Thread Starter
Noob

What could have happened???

I just changed the oil in my '07 GT. I used a Mahle 619 oil filter and 10w-40 Castrol synthetic oil. I have changed oil in this bike several times, but this time, the engine indicator light never went off. To be more specific, the engine electronics light. The rattle from no oil being pumped through the bike is deafening. I couldn't bring myself to allow it to run for more than a few seconds at a time waiting for the oil light to go off and return to normal. I started the bike several times and I have stopped doing so for fear of further damage. What could have happened??? Thanks for any thoughts or previous experiences.

Last edited by Calypso; Jun 7th, 2019 at 7:07 pm. Reason: Should have been worded differently
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2019, 12:39 pm

If you did not get the old oil filter gasket out (they sometimes come off the filter and stick to the mount flange) there is trouble. You install a new filter, now there are two gaskets and it easily can blow out.

Mount Vernon, WA.
tire guy, I'll mount your tires.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2019, 9:41 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the suggestion. I did make sure to remove the old gasket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2019, 9:47 pm

Oil pump failure is just about unheard of. So it is something simple. You have oil in it. Filter on, You may have to waste the oil, (or save it in a very clean container) and check the filter to make sure it is secure. Something is being overlooked.

Mount Vernon, WA.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2019, 12:26 pm
Noob

Any progress? The rattle you hear is probably the cam chain. Scary noise, but not necessarily doing damage. It takes a bit for that hydraulic tensioner to pump up with oil pressure. Anybody know if there's an easy way to disable ignition and prime the oil pump without the bike firing up?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2019, 5:38 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I appreciate that question. I had the same thought. The kill button doesn't allow the starter to engage.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2019, 5:40 pm Thread Starter
Noob

No luck yet. Dealership could not help either. My problems are unique.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2019, 8:55 pm
Noob

Not sure what you have for a motor. The book for my k1200s says when installing an oil pump it won't necessarily prime itself. There is a procedure for pressurizing the oil tank in order to prime . Just a thought. Also I have knocked my fill hole straighner into the tank while trying to insert a funnel, it seems to go right to the suction port at the bottom of the tank? Good luck. If you think you have no oil pressure just stop. It will destroy itself quickly.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2019, 1:35 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for your suggestion Sdk1200S. You mentioned the little piece in the reservoir that can fall in and possibly prevent the oil from passing through. My bike never had one, so the previous owner may have done that. I have changed oil once before on this bike and had no issues. I have determined that the oil pump is working. I have now purchased the upgraded cam chain tensioner and installed it. Still rattling to beat the band!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2019, 6:03 pm

It is possible to install a new style cam tensioner and it jams. I would remove it and make sure it is full of oil. You can maybe work it in some oil like a valve lifter. Re install and alternate tightening the two bolts carefully. One is very hard to get to, helps to have box end torx wrench (E series). If this does not do it you may have to go in deep to take a look. To remove the rocker cover you need to remove the radiator. A big job and you need to have a device that will put a 25" vacuum on your cooling system.

Mount Vernon, WA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode