should I use gasket sealer on k1200gt crank cover? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2019, 11:12 am Thread Starter
Noob

should I use gasket sealer on k1200gt crank cover?

Replacing the crank cover on my 03 K1200gt. the old cover was damaged when I got the bike and finally getting around to replacing it. Gaskets look good, but previous cover had a layer of tan gasket adhesive all around. The mating surface on the block looks great, gasket is pliable, looks perfect. Should I put on a layer of sealant anyway, or just a dab in the corners where the block and the front cover come together?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2019, 12:23 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdsumlin View Post
Replacing the crank cover on my 03 K1200gt. the old cover was damaged when I got the bike and finally getting around to replacing it. Gaskets look good, but previous cover had a layer of tan gasket adhesive all around. The mating surface on the block looks great, gasket is pliable, looks perfect. Should I put on a layer of sealant anyway, or just a dab in the corners where the block and the front cover come together?
(1) Just to clarify... I am assuming your question is for the LEFT side cylinder-head cover (also called valve cover). Your terminology above "replacing the crank cover" could also be interpreted as the right side cover (crackshaft side).

As stated in BMW Shop-Manual AND ALSO in CLYMER repair manual (chapter 4), for the valve cover, gasket sealant need to be used ONLY at half-moon corners surfaces (black arrows in 1st attached photo). May also need just a dab at the RED arrow position as there is a timing-cover junction with cylinder-head that will sometimes show up as a small ridge (when both machined surface did not match perfectly).

(2) ON THE OTHER HAND, if you are indeed referring to RIGHT side cover, then you only need to take care of where the block creates a ridge at matching surfaces (front and rear at Yellow circle of 2nd photo). Even this is normally not needed unless a ridge can be felt with finger / nail.

For BOTH of these covers:
Applying too much (or all over the gasket) is counter-productive as this type of gasket is made to seal by itself (thick and full of ridges). In addition, I have seen cases where someone had put so much sealant that excess were laying inside - potential disaster for oil passages blockage.

So, unless you are trying to save a damaged gasket, there is no need to apply sealant at any other places.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS_Valve-Cover Gasket (with Notes).jpg
Views:	14
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	24601   Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS_Crank-Cover Gasket sealant (with Notes).jpg
Views:	23
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	24603  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by sailor; Jun 10th, 2019 at 3:29 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode