BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Suspension question

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  mcchoc 
#1 ·
Hi, I have the original showa b0182 suspension on the back of my bike.

I cannot find anything about adjusting it. It's preload is at 7 I think (is there a mark on the body to verify where it's at?). I've seen mention online about a triangular adjustment knob that I'm not seeing thats supposed to be for fine tuning rebound? Then there is screw for tension? What the heck does that actually do?

Any and all info is appreciated. It's not worn out.. bike only has 13k on it and it doesnt feel bottomed out or overly springy..

Thanks
scythe

#3 ·
What year? Early K1200RS didn't have the remote preloader on the L/H side so sag/preload was done at the shock with a wrench.Later ones with the remote preload? Many have found that the hydraulic preloader wasn't fully charged and that limited the adjustment.Easy enough to refill/top up the preloader and the method if required is posted somewhere.

Hard to say what adjustment you need as it depends on rider's weight/gear etc but the sag specs are the same.From fully extended on the centerstand down to wheels on the ground/bags on and geared rider on the seat 40mm sag is about right.

They all have the rebound dampener adjustment.Triangular button on a plastic shaft.Sure limited that adjustment if compared to Ohlins and others and the plastic shaft/button are pretty flimsy.May be broken and missing?

My bike came with the yellow spring,that is the optional sport shock.All it is ?Stiffer spring for rider's in the 220lbs+ range.Well over my weight and quite the pogo action so rebound dampener was cranked right up.

#4 ·
No remote on this one.. its all on the shock. 98k12rs. I see a flat spot on the shock that may or may not be a marker of some sort. I was able to see it adjust stiffer or lighter through the windows the spanner goes into.. and there is no reference markings that I can see that allow you to index it.. so I'm going by what I see and I'm on 6 now.

Can you get a picture of that adjustment button? I see NOTHING triangular at all on this bike. I have a screw that goes through the bottom of the shock that says Tension h <-> S on the bottom of the shock under the adjustment collar... but no triangular knob anywhere, unless this guy has a screw there vs. a knob...

#6 ·
My Hoonda also has a Showa suspension.And no markings on the collar/preloader so sag is set by measuring.That's very important measuring sag to keep the geometry/handling right and rather easy to do.Lots on that on the Tube or other places on the net.

Hoonda also has the rebound dampener marked H/S.H for Hard and S for Soft.

#8 ·
Preload

Wrap your fist in a soft rag for protection and just keep turning the adjuster with the C Spanner.

Preload will get tighter and tighter until it hits maximum. Keep turning the C Spanner and the unit will jump all the way back down to minimum setting.

Then you can play with it so see which step suits your weight and road use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.