Battery warning and no speedometer - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 11:28 am Thread Starter
Noob

Battery warning and no speedometer

I am having an issue with my 97 K1200RS where the battery warning indicator is flashing constantly while on and I have no speedometer or gear indicator. I do have the gas meter, the temperature gauge, and turn indicators working. I had the battery on the tender overnight and the tender read green as charged. I have also taken it out for a ride and it seems to ride fine, besides the fact that the instruments aren't working properly. So far all I have tried is detaching the cables from the battery and sanding the connectors to remove any possible corrosion. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 8:38 pm
Veteran

Very strange....I have never seen a flashing charge light.Unless the alternator brushes are just about worn down and do an On-Off contact?Mind you that is usually a very short warning period and then the light will come on steady?

Charge light is the exciter for the alternator.Connected directly to the single blue wire at the back of the alternator.Hard to see back there but connector may be loose or corroded?But can be reached with long nose pliers so that may be all it needs...disconnect/clean/reconnect? Mine went wonky on me on the road....no flashing but light wasn't always coming on with ignition.

Also....connect Voltmeter to the battery and start bike.Should read a steady 13.8V or thereabouts just to confirm that the alternator is doing its job.

Other than that it does look like a ground problem.Not many brown ground wires going to the instrument cluster and some are shared.May be corrosion at the eye connectors behind the cluster,not exactly water/corrosion proof behind there unless one does like me and look every few years and apply good corrosion preventers to the connectors.

Two battery grounds on a K1200RS.One solid....the other is all the brown grounds 6+ brought back to the battery.I had to work on that on my bike many years ago,casing was split leaving the wires unprotected and unprotected/unsupported small wires can easily break under the insulation and bring about them nasty and hard to track down electrical gremlins.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode