Front Tire wearing uneven - Fix? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2019, 1:54 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Front Tire wearing uneven - Fix?

It is almost too late for this tire but why would it wear on only one side and not the other? 2002 K1200RS if it matters.

Last edited by AKShoto; Jul 18th, 2019 at 3:58 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2019, 2:32 pm
Enthusiast

Front Tire? If so, it's probably due to the road being crowned!

Jim
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2019, 8:54 pm

Actually, front tires wear unevenly on all motorcycles due to the fact that during outside turns the tire travels much farther on that side than it does on inside turns. Of course, if you live in Kansas, you might be able to wear out the middle first!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2019, 7:45 am
Veteran

If you read the manual carefully you'll realise that the rear wheel is offset.That contributes to the slight pull to the right generally found on the K1200RS and also uneven front tire wear.

Took me a while to figure that one out and why my left arm/elbow hurt after long days on the road.7-800 km or more per day and countersteering through all that.

So I took the rear wheel spacer out.Front tire still wears left but way less than before and my elbow pain disappeared.
Quiltzig likes this.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2019, 8:09 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingBrick View Post
Actually, front tires wear unevenly on all motorcycles due to the fact that during outside turns the tire travels much farther on that side than it does on inside turns.
Explain, please?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2019, 4:49 pm

It's the radius of the turn. On the outside lane, the wider radius causes more wear on that side of the tire (the left side in the U.S. and most countries that drive on the right side of the road.) The bike is leaned over longer in a left turn that a right turn. That results in more wear on that side of the tire. Happens to some degree on any motorcycle. I will admit that the K bike has a forward weight bias that is hard on front tires. Mine would cup a sport-touring tire to the point of irritation in about 2500 miles. Didn't seem to matter what brand of tire or the inflation psi. The steering would get so heavy, I'd end up replacing the front with more tread left on it than I might on another type of motorcycle. The tele-lever fork geometry might have something to do with it as well.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2019, 11:38 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
If you read the manual carefully you'll realise that the rear wheel is offset.That contributes to the slight pull to the right generally found on the K1200RS and also uneven front tire wear.

Took me a while to figure that one out and why my left arm/elbow hurt after long days on the road.7-800 km or more per day and countersteering through all that.

So I took the rear wheel spacer out.Front tire still wears left but way less than before and my elbow pain disappeared.
Hi H96669. Is this really true about the offset of the front and rear tires? When I first got my 2003 K1200GT, I kept drifting or maybe it was just turns to the left vs the right were noticeably different. I commented to my son-in-law a seasoned rider. His explanation was on me being right handed making my turns seem different, that and a new rider skills. Anyway, I don't notice it now, but I am very curious about your tire offset statement. Regards John
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 7:54 am
Veteran

Mr.jrmull....rear wheel offset spec is in the manual.I don't have it with me but the spec isn't set to a single measurement.BMW spec will be Minimum to Maximum and if I remember the difference between min/max is rather large?

Meaning that some bikes will have more offset than others.There is somewhere on the internet a procedure by an engineer who removed the offset.Very involved as he had to build an alignment jig and calculate but he successfully fixed his bike and got rid of the uneven tire wear.

I have the link somewhere but I am a long way from my computer.Unless I remember where that was it will have to wait until late September.

Rear wheel offset is directly related to the drifting to the right and although most won't notice we are always countersteering even on straight roads.Front tire will wear left because of that and my left elbow also suffered.

Easy check? Set cruise control at 60mph and let go of the handlebars?All I can say is that I corrected most but not all the drift to the right when I removed the rear wheel spacer.Better front tire wear pattern and most importantly relieved the tension on my left elbow from the constant countersteering.

Rear wheel spacer is somewhere in my shop.Never going back on and I should have removed it 250,000km ago.

I can't speak for other bikes but there could be a clearance issue without the spacer.Them 3 little Torx bolts holding the ABS ring in place may touch the wheel?But not in my case....2mm clearance.

K100RS.....R100GS....No wheel offset on them. I could lock the throttle and go for miles in a straight line with hands off the handlebars.And never wore out the front tire on the left first.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 9:16 am
Veteran

2006?Interesting that someone came to the same conclusions then:

https://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/t...?TOPIC_ID=2586

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 9:16 am
Veteran

2006?Interesting that someone came to the same conclusions then:

https://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/t...?TOPIC_ID=2586

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode