Throttle resistence ?? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2019, 9:50 am Thread Starter
Noob

Throttle resistence ??

Hi guys,
Just purchased a 2002 K1200RS, and the throttle works hard compared to all
my other bikes. Is this typical of the K bikes, or should I be looking to see if
someone put a heavier return spring on the throttle bodies??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2019, 12:24 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi guys,
Just purchased a 2002 K1200RS, and the throttle works hard compared to all
my other bikes. Is this typical of the K bikes, or should I be looking to see if
someone put a heavier return spring on the throttle bodies??
By design, the spring on throttle-bodies are a bit stiff (1 or 2 springs depending on version and cruise-control).

EVEN MORE SO if your K1200RS is equipped with factory cruise-control. The cruise became an available "factory installed" option beginning in 2002 for USA market. In such case, there is a 2nd throttle-cable often called the "return cable" (and a 2nd spring on TB pulley).

In addition, because of the 2nd "return / push" throttle cable needed by cruise, you get the friction of both cables (hence strong spring needed). If one or both cable is old or a bit damaged / worn inside, you will get more friction over time (with age). On mine, after 8 years and 65,000 miles (around 2010), I installed brand new throttle cables of the most recent version. Nowadays, only this later "improved" version of the cables is available on BMW parts fiche. If you have custom bar-risers, you can order the K1200GT 2003-2005 throttle cables that are 1 inch longer (same design).

The new throttle cables are better designed with lower friction material inside (think it is a teflon liner) - because of this BMW says not to lube with any petrolium based product. At throttle twist-grip attach point, you can check if you see this liner inside as it is longer than needed to help friction in curved section of the cables. Older cables did NOT have this somewhat "clear" liner visible in same section (see 2nd photo..)

Furthermore, a very common problem over time (other than worn cables) is dirt that has accumulated between metal right handlebar AND plastic throttle rotating sleeve (under rubber grip). Easy to check or feel this when throttle cables are disconnected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS_throttle_cables_lower_section_1.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	24845   Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS_remove_throttle_cables (notes).JPG
Views:	20
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	24847  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by sailor; Jul 30th, 2019 at 8:03 pm.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2019, 10:22 pm
Rookie

My 2003 K1200GT with 27k miles similar to your's also has quite a firm twist. Definitely not sloppy or loose. My wrist gets tired on the highway after an hour ride. I would use cruise control but traffic is too crazy to relax.

Maybe you can locate a similar K bike at a dealer to compare. The paper Clymer shop manual ($35 on Ebay) is worth the purchase and has good descriptions on the throttle experience, maintenance, etc.

Sailor was right on target regarding all the mechanics going on with a K bike. It's a fancy setup. Nothing like my old Honda 1975 CL350 with one cable pulling the carbs.

Welcome to the K1200 bikes. Lots of speed, control and braking features.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2019, 9:36 am Thread Starter
Noob

Excellent info Sailor, thanks for your help. I will investigate.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2019, 9:39 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thank you jrmull, I have a 2004 Rockster that I always thought was stiff compared to my other bikes, but this
K bike is really tough on the wrist. I am going to follow up on what sailor advised, hope that helps or I'll be riding
my other bikes more than the K. Cheers!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2019, 7:16 pm
Rookie

Well BettleJuice, with the wild horses you are holding on to, imagine if the throttle was loose and easy ! Maybe it is keeping you from falling off the seat. Put it in 2nd or 3rd gear and push it to redline area. Report back your findings. Regards John
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2019, 8:22 pm

If nothing else, try one of the "throttle rocker" assist devices. I had one on mine. Look for the one that attaches with a velcro strap rather than plastic. Easier on the hand grip. I thought mine was an easy improvement.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2019, 7:44 am
Veteran

I had to do some maintenance on my bike yesterday.Lots of crap accumulated in the throttle tube and binding the throttle.

WD40 sprayed liberally into the 3 holes at the end of the heated grip and then I sopped the gritty grey slurry that came out.

Mind you.....all that throttle maintenance/inspection was done over the last winter.Just had to do it again but bike has been through a lot of rain.....dust and road crap since.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2019, 7:43 pm
Noob

Throttlebody rail may need lubricating Also in my case a mouse built a nest under and in back off the throttlebody rail. Blowing compressed air through there I’ll tell you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode