Bent fairing bracket - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By sailor
  • 1 Post By Wildbears

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2019, 1:42 pm Thread Starter

Bent fairing bracket

Years ago my '03 K1200GT fell onto its right side and damaged the windshield and the right arm that supports it. I believe this is called the fairing bracket. The bracket was welded to repair it, and I straightened the support visually. All was well for several years, then by Aeroflow windshield broke at the support bracket level. I replaced it with a tall Parabellum; after about a year, the lower attachment point on the right support arm broke.
I'm guessing the support arm is not as straight as it needs to be, although it looks OK. Is there a way to measure the distance(s) between the 2 support arms to assure they are properly aligned? Is there another method to do this? Other suggestions?
A new fairing bracket is over $1200, and I can't find a used one.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 2:24 pm Thread Starter

Update

It turns out I have a broken lower right windshield mounting "post" rather than a simple misalignment. Parts fiche shows that this is part of the fairing bracket, part no. 46 63 7670507. I have several concerns: 1) the part diagram looks similar to the one on my bike, but it is not identical--the attachment point for the "lever", pn 46 63 7658866 is different than shown in the diagram (that is the piece that is broken). QUESTION: was there more than one fairing bracket used on this model? If so, what is the alternate part no.?
2) I have the piece that broke off the mounting post. Has anyone found a way to repair (weld?) this so it will hold the lever securely? 3) If not repairable, might anyone have a used fairing bracket they'd be willing to sell? The new one costs over $1200.
Thanks againe.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 4:44 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lljanssen View Post
It turns out I have a broken lower right windshield mounting "post" rather than a simple misalignment. Parts fiche shows that this is part of the fairing bracket, part no. 46 63 7670507. I have several concerns: 1) the part diagram looks similar to the one on my bike, but it is not identical--the attachment point for the "lever", pn 46 63 7658866 is different than shown in the diagram (that is the piece that is broken). QUESTION: was there more than one fairing bracket used on this model? If so, what is the alternate part no.?
2) I have the piece that broke off the mounting post. Has anyone found a way to repair (weld?) this so it will hold the lever securely? 3) If not repairable, might anyone have a used fairing bracket they'd be willing to sell? The new one costs over $1200.
There are 3 different front fairing brackets available for K1200RS/GT (or front sub-frame if you want to call it like this):

1) fairing bracket for 1st generation K1200RS (1998-2001 in USA): BMW part number "46 63 2 307 696"
On MAX-BMW parts fiche: https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/Diagra...er=46632307696

2) fairing bracket for 2nd generation K1200RS having so-called facelift front (2002-2005 in USA): BMW part number "46 63 7 653 392"
Main difference (among few other changes) with previous gen is the fact the Headlight is held unto bracket and not bolted to the front plastic fairing.
On MAX-BMW parts fiche: https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/Diagra...er=46637653392

3) fairing bracket for K1200GT having "brick-engine" as derived from 2nd gen K1200RS design (2003-2005 in USA): BMW part number "46 63 7 670 507"
Changes to this one are all related to the electrical windshield mechanism (compare to earlier mechanical 2 positions only design). There is an added bracket welded onto this sub-frame to hold the electrical motor of the windshield (and a few other minor changes to position electrical UP-Down switches).
On MAX-BMW parts fiche: https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/Diagra...er=46637670507

AS FAR AS SOLVING the other part of the original question: I am very familiar with the arms / mechanism holding the K1200RS 2nd gen windshield, but not as much for the K1200GT although there are many common parts. I would need detailed clear picture to better understand what parts you need that are broken (and where is the break),

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)

Last edited by sailor; Aug 19th, 2019 at 6:30 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2019, 9:14 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
There are 3 different front fairing brackets available for K1200RS/GT (or front sub-frame if you want to call it like this):

1) fairing bracket for 1st generation K1200RS (1998-2001 in USA): BMW part number "46 63 2 307 696"
On MAX-BMW parts fiche: https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/Diagra...er=46632307696

2) fairing bracket for 2nd generation K1200RS having so-called facelift front (2002-2005 in USA): BMW part number "46 63 7 653 392"
Main difference (among few other changes) with previous gen is the fact the Headlight is held unto bracket and not bolted to the front plastic fairing.
On MAX-BMW parts fiche: https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/Diagra...er=46637653392

3) fairing bracket for K1200GT having "brick-engine" as derived from 2nd gen K1200RS design (2003-2005 in USA): BMW part number "46 63 7 670 507"
Changes to this one are all related to the electrical windshield mechanism (compare to earlier mechanical 2 positions only design). There is an added bracket welded onto this sub-frame to hold the electrical motor of the windshield (and a few other minor changes to position electrical UP-Down switches).
On MAX-BMW parts fiche: https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/Diagra...er=46637670507

AS FAR AS SOLVING the other part of the original question: I am very familiar with the arms / mechanism holding the K1200RS 2nd gen windshield, but not as much for the K1200GT although there are many common parts. I would need detailed clear picture to better understand what parts you need that are broken (and where is the break),
Thanks for the input, Sailor. Attached are 3 photos I tried and failed to edit. The left side (from rider perspective) mounting post is intact, with the "lever" properly in place. The broken right side is shown, with the lever absent. I'm looking for a way to repair the post so it will hold the lever securely. Could such a small piece be welded back on? Could a vertical hole be drilled to insert a pin of some kind to reinforce the broken part of the post? Trying to avoid an expensive new bracket. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190820_144146.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	25085   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190820_144131.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	25087   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190820_144122.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	25089  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2019, 11:24 am
Veteran

Do you still have the arm?

If so drill out the threads and mount the arm with a machine bolt/nylox nut.

That little broken/missing tab on yours has been broken forever on my bike.Still there but all that is holding my lever arm is a longer than OEM bolt that goes all the way through the threads unlike the OEM that only catch half the threads.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2019, 12:32 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lljanssen View Post
Thanks for the input, Sailor. Attached are 3 photos I tried and failed to edit. The left side (from rider perspective) mounting post is intact, with the "lever" properly in place. The broken right side is shown, with the lever absent. I'm looking for a way to repair the post so it will hold the lever securely. Could such a small piece be welded back on? Could a vertical hole be drilled to insert a pin of some kind to reinforce the broken part of the post? Trying to avoid an expensive new bracket. Thanks.
Thanks for the photos, although I wished the 1st one was more "in focus" to see type of metal / casting. It appear to be the same bad / weak casting design as we have on K1200RS - similar design as your K1200GT although the screen adjustment is manual for 2 positions only.

As written by "H96669" in previous post, a similar part holding the 2 small lower arms has always been weak and will also break fairly easily on K1200RS (2nd gen only from 2001). In your case, the usage of a large after-market screen replacement is making a weak design even worse (more torsion and more wind pressure).

I see 3 options:
1) Fix it as described above by H96669. Hopefully you still have the small missing broken piece, otherwise put a large washer on that side and a nut on the other (with Loctite or self-locking nut). Given your large screen , this is a crap shoot to see if it will hold long term.

2) Remove the lower bar holding these 2 arms from fairing bracket and try to have it welded. Assuming it is the same bad alloy / casting as we have on K1200RS, then you will be told by most welder: "forget about it !"

3) In parts fiche , I see one part in diagram that is VERY SPECIFIC only for these K1200GT (2003-2005) windscreen mount that appear to be the one broken (going across to hold both small arms). It is only $US$ 74 and might be the one you need IF-AND-ONLY-IF your dealer will not kill you when it shows up - in case it is not the part we think it is... no photos available just a bad drawing:

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/Diagra...er=46637670508
BMW part number: 46 63 7 670 508 (item 18 in drawing)

There is similar part on K1200RS that I have removed before, however the design on you K1200GT is different (and so is the part number) because of the connection to electric windshield motor.

Good luck !
Let us know how it goes...
Wildbears likes this.

John (Montreal, CANADA)

Last edited by sailor; Aug 21st, 2019 at 1:20 pm.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 6:59 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Remove the lower bar holding these 2 arms from fairing bracket and try to have it welded. Assuming it is the same bad alloy / casting as we have on K1200RS, then you will be told by most welder: "forget about it !"
If the "bad alloy" is aluminum, you might try a welder with aircraft welding experience.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 7:13 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbears View Post
If the "bad alloy" is aluminum, you might try a welder with aircraft welding experience.

Wished it was made / machined from "real" aluminium... As you posted there are good welders who can do this.

HOWEVER, based on a zoomed section of his 1st picture it appear to be the same "crappy" melted alloy that we have on K1200RS similar part. In addition, there is very little room to weld as there a slot with a 90 deg bend to insert the small lower windshield arms.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2019, 7:27 pm

Garage
One more possible weld fix if you can get around the access problem...

https://www.google.com/search?q=pot+...K0sQW3ibXQDQ24

Works for pot metal and zinc die cast.
sailor likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode