Pulling diagnostic codes: Motoscan App doewsn't support our K41 bikes? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2019, 1:51 pm Thread Starter
Noob
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 24
Pulling diagnostic codes: Motoscan App doewsn't support our K41 bikes?

Has anyone used Motoscan App and the Scantool LX to pull diagnostics and or operate actuators?? What about resetting faults or doing calibration of fuel guage? how about real time ECU data like from the O2 sensor??

I'm working through an ABS fail and dead speedo on my 2003 K1200GT and was looking to pull codes with the Motoscan App and the Scantool OBDLink LX. So I bought the round to squarish cable adapter to connect the Bluetooth adapter to the round diagnostic port and I installed the Motoscan Lite version (free) and I bought the Scantool OBDLink LX. The App says to use the Scantool MX or LX and to verify operation before purchasing paid versions of the app and the app developer assured me the App would work for me.

Well I was able to connect to the adapter with both My Torque app and with the Motoscan App but neither could connect to the BMW ECU data. I did download the Scantool app but didn't try it as it asked for registration and I didn't want to risk locking the adapter to their app..
GaryS-NJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2019, 1:56 pm Thread Starter
Noob
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 24
the motoscan does not list the K41 bike

oh, the app doesn't list the K41 but lists the K589 twice. K589 is the K100RT but I think the older k1200RS and K1200LT also have a 589 in the model # The app lists the K44 withj (K1200GT and K1300GT)
GaryS-NJ is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2019, 2:03 pm
Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS-NJ View Post
Has anyone used Motoscan App and the Scantool LX to pull diagnostics and or operate actuators?? What about resetting faults or doing calibration of fuel guage? how about real time ECU data like from the O2 sensor??

I'm working through an ABS fail and dead speedo on my 2003 K1200GT and was looking to pull codes with the Motoscan App and the Scantool OBDLink LX. So I bought the round to squarish cable adapter to connect the Bluetooth adapter to the round diagnostic port and I installed the Motoscan Lite version (free) and I bought the Scantool OBDLink LX. The App says to use the Scantool MX or LX and to verify operation before purchasing paid versions of the app and the app developer assured me the App would work for me.

Well I was able to connect to the adapter with both My Torque app and with the Motoscan App but neither could connect to the BMW ECU data. I did download the Scantool app but didn't try it as it asked for registration and I didn't want to risk locking the adapter to their app..
Wished I could help but...
I have worked in System and accounting software for 25 years AND about 8 years ago I needed a REAL SOLUTION that worked so I bought a GS-911. At that time the GS-911 had been out for many years and was a mature product. The current GS-911 has evolve to support many more BMW recent models with a new hardware and software platform. Not cheap, but it works and will not mess up your ECU.

Although new options like MotoScan are now available, I think I have "messed with" and debugged enough software / hardware in my career NOT to bother being a guinea pig with my cars or motorcycles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sailor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2019, 2:12 pm
Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS-NJ View Post
oh, the app doesn't list the K41 but lists the K589 twice. K589 is the K100RT but I think the older k1200RS and K1200LT also have a 589 in the model # The app lists the K44 withj (K1200GT and K1300GT)
The naming "K589" is valid and was used by BMW for the 1st generation K1200RS (began as 1997 in Europe and as 1998 in USA). Because these have the older ABS2 technology (without assisted servos), they are in fact very similar to the K1100 where the "K589" naming was also used. Of course, a K1100 is NOT visually similar to a 1997-2000 K1200RS with different frame but they both have similar Motronic ECU and similar ABS.

Later, when they did the 2nd generation K1200RS with facelift front nose and modifed the ABS to have the assisted servos modulator (offered as 2002 to 2004 in USA), they used the naming "K41".

From an engine standpoint and ABS-modulator standpoint, the K1200GT with "brick-engine" (2003-2005) are also considered as "K41" (fairing and/or electrical windshield and/or heated seat have no impact on the ECU or ABS codes).

The "K44" are the later K1200GT with the so-called frontal "slant-4" engine - these are VERY DIFFERENT animals - they use CANBUS technology that was not present on K41 or K589.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by sailor; Sep 6th, 2019 at 2:18 pm.
sailor is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2019, 7:39 am
Veteran
 
H96669's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Burton, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 1,645
I looked at the functionality chart of the Motoscan last year.K41 wasn't listed so quickly closed the page.

Still relying on the old GS911 usb,although expensive 8 yrs ago,It did help me diagnose failed O2 sensors and a dead iABS on my buddy's GS.A few more hours of fun work to castrate that iABS out of the GS.Almost the same system as the K so that gave me some practice for when, (if ever) I have to castrate the K on the road?

GS911 does give real time values for the iABS and some test functions.I really like the bleed test function as they can be difficult to bleed and one shouldn't miss the finer details/warnings from the BMW service manual.Details not found in Clymer or the DIY instructions posted online.

Although they go fast,used GS911 usb do come up once in a while.I won't post the link as someone will swipe it but if interested the flea market on ADVRider?There is one right now for not a lot more than buying all the Motoscan stuff and less time wasted.

As for resetting the fuel gauge?All we can do is reset the fuel warning light.Set at 4 Liters left from the factory but can be changed to anywhere between 2l and 6.No need for any scan tool to do that.

If like my bike for the last couple weeks and the gauge won't go all the way up when full?I have a good idea of the cause,I'll fix it this winter.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
H96669 is online now  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2019, 12:38 pm Thread Starter
Noob
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 24
Motoscan doesn't support our K41 bikes

Thanks again both Sailor and H96669.. I'm getting the feeling here that the K41 really isn't supported by the Motoscan app but in a facebook group I have one guy said it worked for him. Perhaps to limited extent minus the iabs.. But I did try the K589/ Looking for the GS911...
GaryS-NJ is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2019, 11:41 pm Thread Starter
Noob
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 24
motoscan app working

hey I tried the app again today and I was able to read the ECU and it gives me access to the mototronic and the ABS. I saw fault codes in both and cleared them but went for a rride and the 1 hz abs light persisted and I had no abs. I'm guessing the abs roll away test failed or didn't complete. can you folks point me to a fault code interpreter and troubleshooting?? it showed ABS internal faults 4181 and 4285 and also front brake light switch fault 45FE and in the motronic it showed hall effect sensor signal 1 fail code 0335 and hall effect sensor signal 2 fail code 0385
GaryS-NJ is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2019, 5:58 am
Veteran
 
H96669's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Burton, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 1,645
Fix the brake switch first?Switch is on at rest.Pulling lever breaks the contact.Switch is called a "mom-OFF switch" for Momentary OFF.Non-functioning switch=no self test.

Hal sensors fault is normal w/engine off.Start her up?No engine fault?

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
H96669 is online now  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2019, 11:13 am Thread Starter
Noob
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 24
where's the like button on this thing! thanks! as for the front brake switch, what is that little screw located behind the lever and dabbed with a locking compound. It almost looks like a fine adjuster to set the lever to switch play...
GaryS-NJ is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2019, 11:54 am Thread Starter
Noob
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 24
GS-911 or OK with just Motoscan

Yes I got my $30USD motoscan Professional working and see for my K41 connection to the Engine Motronics or the IABS (I pulled codes and cleared them. Theres also a number of real time things to see besides the fault codes and clearing codes. And I thought the description said actuators (I think that's a simulated front or rear brake application and perhaps the engine idle... not sure) but I didn't see actuators yesterday when I was connected in the app. I'll check the app again and try to take some screen shots but how might this compare with the GS911. What do people do with a GS911?? which can't be done with Motoscan?? I'll probably make a new post on this subject alone when I look at it again>>


Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Wished I could help but...
I have worked in System and accounting software for 25 years AND about 8 years ago I needed a REAL SOLUTION that worked so I bought a GS-911. At that time the GS-911 had been out for many years and was a mature product. The current GS-911 has evolve to support many more BMW recent models with a new hardware and software platform. Not cheap, but it works and will not mess up your ECU.

Although new options like MotoScan are now available, I think I have "messed with" and debugged enough software / hardware in my career NOT to bother being a guinea pig with my cars or motorcycles.
GaryS-NJ is offline  
Reply

Tags
diagnostics, gs911, motoscan, obdlinklx, scantool

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome