BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

K1200rs 2002

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  KeithB03 
#1 ·
Hi could anyone let me know if this is normal on my bike please. Basically when i set off quickly from a standing start and I dump the clutch to get a quick start my bike seems to ride the clutch even when my clutch is fully released it only dose this in first gear all other gears are fine and there is no clutch slip it only seem to do this then I set off quickly in first gear
Cheers

#2 ·
Probably not normal.

I ride a 2003 K1200GT, similar to the K1200RS. I don't fast release my clutch in 1st gear, though. I typically clutch slip it to get it rolling and for control creeping around a corner low speeds. Same in 2nd gear, slipping it on corners. With the clutch fully released, the bike has a very strong pull.

For you, maybe you start in 1st gear and get the RPMs up to 4-5k without shifting. See if the bike pulls solid up to the higher RPMs. Repeat, do the same in 2nd gear.

If the bike doesn't pull like a freight train, something is messed up. Good luck on your research

#3 ·
Not normal,clutch is skipping and re-engaging.

Tear down in order.

#6 ·
What oil are you running?

I have a 2003 GT and don't drop the clutch but was beginning to notice slippage when pulling 4-5k r's in 4th gear. I had switched to synthetic 10w-40 from dino oil the last two oil changes. I figured that the synthetic oil was getting past the seal due to it's finer consistency so I switched to Valvoline High Mileage 10w-30 which has a seal conditioner. Then with the bike on the center stand, engine off, I sprayed some carb cleaner up the small hole in the bell housing while holding the clutch in and rotating the rear tire in gear to coat the friction disk. I started the engine and worked the clutch to sling off the excess.

This must have cleaned off the small amount of oil on the clutch as it no longer slipped after about 50 miles.

I now run Vavoline High mileage 5w-30 with no problem and it seems to run better than 10w-30.

I don't know if you are running synthetic or not but I offer this experience incase it is beginning to seep at the rear seal as something to try before spending big bucks on a new clutch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.