BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

For the love of ABS!

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  rossmon1 
#1 ·
I've been riding since I was 10 yrs. old, owned a bunch of bikes, all varieties and sizes. Currently own an R6, HD fat boy (ug), and a NTM BMW 2004 K1200GT. Bought the K12 just about a year ago with 34k miles and have put around 12k on it to present.

OK, lets keep this short and get to the point; about 2 weeks ago traveling on HWY 24 filtering... aggressively, looking over my left shoulder at about 60mph, return my focus forward and bright red brake lights WAYY too close. For sure I'm done, thinking of how long it will take to recover, all the things on my plate that will be halted, countless other thoughts... GRABB the front brake lever with all my might and freekin STOP, like on a pin point! My tire just touching the back of the subaru bumper.

LOVE. THIS. BIKE.

#3 ·
Reminds me of how i told my wife that the new r1150gs came with the first anti dive feont end plus even better abs. I said this could prevent a broken arm or leg! She immediately said, go buy one! and i dutifully sold my last year made R100gs bumblebee. Well, 2 weeks later I’m
crossing the Richardson bay bridge north of SF doing 45 approaching the HOV lane. Some clown in a full sized van in gridlock pulls into rhe lane and i’m real close. I hit the brakes knowing the ABS would slow me down without falling over and standing on my feet I was able to jerk the bike up onto the center divider and blow past this van. I gave my biggest finger and calmed myself down heading North and thanked my lucky stars for my BMW! Now that Im 71, i’m considering selling my still too heavy K12S and getting my first riding brand, a duck! But only because they now have most of the safety stuff that bmw pioneered. A light weight red SS w/ohlins is calling me for my last rides on this Earth!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.