For the love of ABS! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rossmon1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2019, 1:14 am Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
For the love of ABS!

I've been riding since I was 10 yrs. old, owned a bunch of bikes, all varieties and sizes. Currently own an R6, HD fat boy (ug), and a NTM BMW 2004 K1200GT. Bought the K12 just about a year ago with 34k miles and have put around 12k on it to present.

OK, lets keep this short and get to the point; about 2 weeks ago traveling on HWY 24 filtering... aggressively, looking over my left shoulder at about 60mph, return my focus forward and bright red brake lights WAYY too close. For sure I'm done, thinking of how long it will take to recover, all the things on my plate that will be halted, countless other thoughts... GRABB the front brake lever with all my might and freekin STOP, like on a pin point! My tire just touching the back of the subaru bumper.

LOVE. THIS. BIKE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2019, 9:16 pm
Rookie

I'm a ABS believer too. In panic mode, I will grab the brake. All the class time on how to squeeze light to firm is long gone out the brain. Todate I have been lucky to only practice ABS stopping.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2019, 12:45 am
Noob

Reminds me of how i told my wife that the new r1150gs came with the first anti dive feont end plus even better abs. I said this could prevent a broken arm or leg! She immediately said, go buy one! and i dutifully sold my last year made R100gs bumblebee. Well, 2 weeks later I’m
crossing the Richardson bay bridge north of SF doing 45 approaching the HOV lane. Some clown in a full sized van in gridlock pulls into rhe lane and i’m real close. I hit the brakes knowing the ABS would slow me down without falling over and standing on my feet I was able to jerk the bike up onto the center divider and blow past this van. I gave my biggest finger and calmed myself down heading North and thanked my lucky stars for my BMW! Now that Im 71, i’m considering selling my still too heavy K12S and getting my first riding brand, a duck! But only because they now have most of the safety stuff that bmw pioneered. A light weight red SS w/ohlins is calling me for my last rides on this Earth!
ipla68 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode