Steering Damper - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By H96669

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 9:21 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Steering Damper

So, spent the morning Saturday replacing the fork seals. Job was fairly straightforward, following the Illinois BMW Club video and Clymer. Thought I would check the damper while I was in there as the steering didn't seem to stiffen up when I jerked the handlebars.

I guess I'm not surprised, LOL.

Not sure how something that substantial can get bent without the bike showing other symptoms/damage. Regardless, obviously I need a replacement so, if anyone is parting out or has a spare, PM me. Or, looking at ebay, dampers with this particular part number are fairly scarce. Does anyone know if the dampers that look similar but from later models will work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 1:28 am

Akshually, a bent damper rod may not compromise the function of the unit unless the bend is so severe that it affects the piston rod seal. The flip side is, you may not be able to find a proper replacement damper fluid. BMW has not been particularly forthcoming with viscosity specs (surprise!). If you do get a viscosity rating, know that there are several viscosity rating systems in use and they are neither equivalent nor easily inter-translateable.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 9:38 am
Veteran

Wow,I have never seen a bent one.Looks bent up?

Is the bushing/pivot on the fork bridge free to rotate in any position?And the rear pivot?If not that will stress the rod and potentially bend it.My bushing was stiff....!Found out the hard way after a steering lock incident in a curve with suspension compressed that it should be checked and maintained yearly.

Leaky ones can be rebuilt,I might even have the instructions somewhere.Seals are hard to find but I have a pair in my parts box.Been there for?10 yrs.

Parts fiche is a bit cryptic on the part numbers vs years.

BUT, early was 31422332119 and later (xx/03) was 31427682783.

3142233219 is superceded by 31427682783.What that means is that they are all the same across the production years of the RS/GT and LT.

A few (not many) available on fleabay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...temCondition=4
sailor likes this.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 10:22 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
The heim joint at the end of the rod and the ball joint at the lower fork bridge both seemed to be functioning properly. Unfortunately, the bend is severe enough to have wrecked the seal and spilled the fluid. Not afraid to rebuild the next one, but would rather have one with a known history. Was hoping someone would tell me that the damper from later K or R bikes will fit, even though they don't share the same part number. Will give it a few weeks to see if one turns up.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2019, 8:26 am
Noob

The Pirate's lair probably has this part - I have one on my '98K1200. No cheap, but functional!

Best,
Mark

No One Is Coming - It Is Up To Us

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode