Brake Pad Indicator Issue - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2019, 5:41 pm Thread Starter
Noob
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 6
Brake Pad Indicator Issue

Has anyone had a brake pad warning light stay on and you cant get rid of it? Factory pads have the wear wire built in - it brakes or rubs through when you have exceeded the limit to the pads. Replacing factory pads are ridiculously expensive. I chose the other route: replace with High End NORMAL pads and relocate the wire (checking to make sure it is in one piece). I am still getting this indicator and cant seem to get rid of it.
Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2019, 6:19 pm
Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Has anyone had a brake pad warning light stay on and you cant get rid of it? Factory pads have the wear wire built in - it brakes or rubs through when you have exceeded the limit to the pads. Replacing factory pads are ridiculously expensive. I chose the other route: replace with High End NORMAL pads and relocate the wire (checking to make sure it is in one piece). I am still getting this indicator and cant seem to get rid of it.
Thoughts?
A LOT more chance of a reply if you post this in proper Forum section. You have posted this in the so-called "classic version of the K1200RS / K1200GT" - on these there is NO Brake Pads wear indicators (or warning)

BMW began using these fancy brake pads on K1200GT second generation beginning in 2006 (and also on K1300S / K1300GT).

Correct forum section you are looking for is here - called "K12/1300GT (Next Gen)": https://www.k-bikes.com/forums/43-k12-1300gt-next-gen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sailor is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2019, 2:50 pm Thread Starter
Noob
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 6
Thanks and I reposted as you suggested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2019, 8:26 pm
Enthusiast
 
TF1200RT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 259
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
BMW began using these fancy brake pads on K1200GT second generation beginning in 2006 (and also on K1300S / K1300GT).
Don't have them on my 2009 K1300GT.

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone

TF1200RT is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2019, 6:30 am
Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
....
BMW began using these fancy brake pads on K1200GT second generation beginning in 2006 (and also on K1300S / K1300GT).
....
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF1200RT View Post
Don't have them on my 2009 K1300GT.
I just checked MAX-BMW parts fiche and they show these only on K1200GT - these were sold as 2006-2008 for USA market.
https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/Diagra...er=34218527517

For some reason, BMW decided not to continue with this on the next design when they did the K1300GT. I had assumed they did continue without checking the owner manual or parts fiche.

This is a design from the automobile industry - it is commonly used nowadays on many BMW cars so as to show a warning on dash / computer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sailor is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2019, 9:48 am
Enthusiast
 
TF1200RT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 259
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
For some reason, BMW decided not to continue with this on the next design when they did the K1300GT. I had assumed they did continue without checking the owner manual or parts fiche. This is a design from the automobile industry - it is commonly used nowadays on many BMW cars so as to show a warning on dash / computer.
Yeah, I had them on my Porsche.

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone

TF1200RT is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome