K1200GT Whizzy brakes issue... Or is it? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2019, 2:15 am Thread Starter
Noob

K1200GT Whizzy brakes issue... Or is it?

Hi all. First time post after a lot of shadowy reading. New to me k1200gt yesterday threw a cruveball. 6 hour ride with no issues, but about 10 metres from home the abs warning triangle was solid and brake failure fast flashing. Manual says one or both circuits not receiving brake assist which was true, the back brake was cactus, front still fine.
Turned off bike then ignition on without starting and the abs did its little check, all as usual. But about 10 more seconds and the lights start blinking again and the servo motor can be heard making erratic whizzing without brakes applied. Checked the microswitches on the levers and they weren't faulty/stuck open.
Anyway, put the bike away with a trickle charger and in the morning, no issues. Rode around a bit still nothing. Battery test at a shop said all good, but charging was only 13.4V even at high rpm. Should be high 13s correct?.

So! Bad abs unit? Or abs just playing up because of low voltage? If so, hopefully not an alternator change.

Thanks all for reading. Loving the new 1200 but I miss my 1100lt every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2019, 5:54 am
Veteran

As of yesterday....I am dealing with the same issue on the road.

Go for a quick ride? Try rear brake only? I can bet the rear is now on residual,that is no servo and barely slows the bike down?Barely....!

My front works....even the ABS function is still active.So? Later today I will probably bypass the rear.That is install a bypass line between the rear MC and caliper line.I have been carrying such for years....time to use it and bring my bike back home with a functioning (but no servo/abs) rear brake.Long way to go.....I'd rather not do it on front brakes only.

Altough I already knew......I did Google yesterday.Same issue on many iABS were never resolved.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2019, 6:16 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
As of yesterday....I am dealing with the same issue on the road.

Go for a quick ride? Try rear brake only? I can bet the rear is now on residual,that is no servo and barely slows the bike down?Barely....!

My front works....even the ABS function is still active.So? Later today I will probably bypass the rear.That is install a bypass line between the rear MC and caliper line.I have been carrying such for years....time to use it and bring my bike back home with a functioning (but no servo/abs) rear brake.Long way to go.....I'd rather not do it on front brakes only.

Altough I already knew......I did Google yesterday.Same issue on many iABS were never resolved.
Pierre,
I know your Brake System was well maintained and flushed every year - following maintenance schedule and even more... BUT at 174,000 miles (280,000 KM) you knew your iABS modulator was on borrowed time - it was bound to happen sooner than later given age of your ABS Modulator.

I hope you can make it home with the front servos functioning - although I know you are very resourceful and ready with tools. HOW FAR ARE YOU NOW ?

By the way, the flashing sequence reported by the OP of this thread (Triangle steady + fast flash ABS) generally means:
"the ABS unit did not see the correct output pressure compared to the input pressure on the control circuit. It will disabled the pump assist on one or both of the wheel."
In such case, internally what was found was either:
(1) one of the two pump motor was bad (worn brushes or DOT4 leaked into it caused by a seal)
(2) an internal pressure sensor (transducer) has failed. There are 4 of these (input, output, front , rear).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2019, 6:56 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryall View Post
Hi all. First time post after a lot of shadowy reading. New to me k1200gt yesterday threw a cruveball. 6 hour ride with no issues, but about 10 metres from home the abs warning triangle was solid and brake failure fast flashing. Manual says one or both circuits not receiving brake assist which was true, the back brake was cactus, front still fine.
Turned off bike then ignition on without starting and the abs did its little check, all as usual. But about 10 more seconds and the lights start blinking again and the servo motor can be heard making erratic whizzing without brakes applied. Checked the microswitches on the levers and they weren't faulty/stuck open.
Anyway, put the bike away with a trickle charger and in the morning, no issues. Rode around a bit still nothing. Battery test at a shop said all good, but charging was only 13.4V even at high rpm. Should be high 13s correct?.

So! Bad abs unit? Or abs just playing up because of low voltage? If so, hopefully not an alternator change.

Thanks all for reading. Loving the new 1200 but I miss my 1100lt every day.
A good / strong Battery is critical to all BMW models having iABS modulator (ABS with whizzy servo motors). The Battery is NOT the most common issue, but it becomes difficult to troubleshoot (at a distance) if this part of the system is not perfect. The Modulator pulls a lot of AMPS when both internal motors run (front + rear automatically applied when front lever is pressed), thus at idle when the Alternator cannot furnish its max output, the battery is the buffer / supplier. Of course over 2000 RPM, the Alternator can keep up (840 watts capacity).

Normally, for K1200RS/GT with "brick-engine" the charging voltage read at battery pole should be "roughly" 13.4 to 14 volts at idle - a bit more at 2000 RPM (more like 13.6 min to 14.5 max). Do not forget that a "hobby" Voltmeter can easily have a 4% error so make sure to check with another one to confirm. DID YOU CHECK for any loose or dirty connection at battery POLES ? This can affect reading / supply.

Most problems of these iABS modulator are caused by lack of usage (bike parked for 1 year or more) combined by lack of flushing / replacing the DOT4 as recommended by schedule. Storage temperature / conditions when parked will also add to the equation... I see many K1200RS and K1200GT being sold for very low amount on the market - unfortunatly many have been parked much too often and did not get the brake maintenance they should have (max of 2 years between flush using the complex procedure as per BMW shop manual).

I AM ASSUMING you HAVE ALSO CHECKED fluid level in BOTH SECTIONS of the small reservoir located on right side (just below radiator expansion tank). Note that brake fluid level goes down with brake pads wear.

HOWEVER, given your symptoms above, there is a much higher probability you will get one of these internal fault codes - in such case it is often the end for your ABS modulator:
1) code 17419: Rear ABS motor defective
2) code 17433: Pressure in rear wheel cylinder too low

In your case, to confirm type of fault, I would suggest you find someone with a GS-911 to read which ABS fault codes you have. Your BMW dealer can also read these codes for $$.

If the news are not good (as I suspect), then contact Module-Master in Idaho. Although their web page still says
"This rebuild is currently UNDER DEVELOPMENT..." recently a friend was told they had just started repairing these iABS modulators, BUT apparently they are backlogged for a long time on these repairs.
https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/sh.../abs-fte-abs3/

John (Montreal, CANADA)

Last edited by sailor; Sep 26th, 2019 at 7:47 am.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2019, 7:07 am
Veteran

Thanks Jean....!

Not far down into Maine.Got a nasty cold last week....maybe from exposure to Asbestos dust and had to delay

I am well aware of the causes,no GS911 required I'd bet on the sensor. That yellow GS last year had similar symptoms.Pressure sensor but front on that one so fault disabled the whole system.

I just dug up the bypasses from under the seat.Checked some connectors at the same time but as I tought that wasn't it.Next stop will be some autoparts for a few supplies and might wait until later today ,find a cheap motel and bypass that rear.Estimated bypass/repair time of 1 to 1.5hr.

Front should hold but I'd also be ready to bypass that and the whole system on the road.Quickly and efficiently....!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2019, 7:23 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the responses guys.
The voltage reading from the charging was with the shops expensive battery tester. My fluke multimeter actually shows 13.8v at high idle, but that was cold. I'll test again when hot.

I am waiting on getting the codes read to get to the bottom of this. However the bike has been fine today, no codes and brakes working. Fluids all full and the right colour. We'll see what the electronic diagnosis is, hopefully not a rebuild because the postage to USA from Australia is pretty horrendous.
sailor and H96669 like this.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2019, 7:09 am
Veteran

Mine was resetting after a period of rest.Got 50km the first time then lights came back on.4-5 resets and last one held for a few minutes.That was it!

05GS because of the front sensor fault would act dangerously.

Fault codes? May tell you something but I think real time data are more meaningful.Sure were on that GS I castrated out of its iABS.

Food for toughts:

https://forum.hexcode.co.za/forum/in...topic,4.0.html

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 12:23 pm
Veteran

I wonder if the OP had his fault codes read?

After 3 days of riding with the constant flashing lights and because I wasn't ready just yet to pronounce my iABS as dead I turned my mechanical brain toward some illogical potential repair.Illogical but not the first time I successfully defied the BMW logic.....!

Had to look back at some other K I fixed years ago of the same flash sequence.Just remembering? Took a few byways and many twisties to help with the fading memories....!

Had to take the repair in steps.....step1 got me somewhere as in self tests would complete but lights would come back on down the road.Subsequently applied step2 then step3 and now at 2days +1500 kms and IABS is functionning normally.

I can't confirm with the GS911 until I get home,still a few thousand Ks to go but I think there is a factory flaw in the self test sequence on the rear.That flaw may bring about false positive faults and disable the rear servo/abs function.

I won't tell just yet how I regained my rear servo but total time spent wrenching on the road was 15minutes and also very simple.

2500km to go.Colorado....Wyoming....Montana.Looks like once again my now old K will bring me back home.290,000 kms/no flashing lights.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 3:42 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
I wonder if the OP had his fault codes read?

After 3 days of riding with the constant flashing lights and because I wasn't ready just yet to pronounce my iABS as dead I turned my mechanical brain toward some illogical potential repair.Illogical but not the first time I successfully defied the BMW logic.....!

Had to look back at some other K I fixed years ago of the same flash sequence.Just remembering? Took a few byways and many twisties to help with the fading memories....!

Had to take the repair in steps.....step1 got me somewhere as in self tests would complete but lights would come back on down the road.Subsequently applied step2 then step3 and now at 2days +1500 kms and IABS is functionning normally.

I can't confirm with the GS911 until I get home,still a few thousand Ks to go but I think there is a factory flaw in the self test sequence on the rear.That flaw may bring about false positive faults and disable the rear servo/abs function.

I won't tell just yet how I regained my rear servo but total time spent wrenching on the road was 15minutes and also very simple.

2500km to go.Colorado....Wyoming....Montana.Looks like once again my now old K will bring me back home.290,000 kms/no flashing lights.
Thanks for update about the trip and iABS status. Glad you got a temporary fix to continue back home safely with servos.

Very curious about the HOWTO once you get home - at that point there will be enough mileage done to confirm if your fix is working permanently.

John (Montreal, CANADA)

Last edited by sailor; Oct 2nd, 2019 at 5:37 pm.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 6:23 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Thanks for update about the trip and iABS status. Glad you got a temporary fix to continue back home safely with servos.

Very curious about the HOWTO once you get home - at that point there will be enough mileage done to confirm if your fix is working permanently.
Add another 500kms from my last post just a few hours ago?Slabbing at 160km/h with utter confidence in my repaired braking system?Rather bad for fuel economy that but I was confident enough to do a couple braking practices/system test?Slam on them at 150...ABS kicks in by the time one feels lile he is about to go over the bars?As it should....!

I know you are curious.....but for now I won't post the method as the troll may once again get it wrong.Remember what I showed you on Farcebook?

OP is more than welcome to PM me with details and potentially found faults I can probably add that to my on the road findings and suggest some preventive measures?

Do me a favor Jean? Scan and post the relevant pages in the owner's manual?Relevant pages would be iABS fault codes and self test start sequence?Just so the troll gets it right?

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode