BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Clutch problem

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  F1Boss 
#1 ·
Hello! Thanks for accepting. Please help i have a clutch problem before 1000km. i replaced the clutch with a new ferrari disk and now it slips me. BMW k1200RS 2001 58k.

#2 ·
Clutch disk only?I am absolutely not surprised that it is now slipping.

At the very least the diaphragm spring should have been replaced.And most probably the friction plates unless you or the mechanic confirmed that the plates were flat and not dished in?

A Ferrari disk? From a Ferrari or did some Chinese outfit appropriated the name?

#5 ·
After changing the ferris wheel I went 1000km. but i had a problem with the engine broke the distributor without serious consequences. I replaced the exhaust camshaft, timing chain and chain tensioner. I assembled the bike and everything was fine. I started to make friends and I felt the clutch slip as the 6th gear began to slip. And the engine power was noticeably higher than before. Before I bought it from the previous owner, it was replaced by a timing chain, but they did not engage it properly, there was a two-tooth grinding.

#6 ·
#8 ·
Ouch the two teeth off on the cam.Lucky for you that there isn't interference between the valves and pistons with two off.Three teeth off and the pistons will smack into the valves.:sad

Previous owner didn't read the manual before he replaced the cam chain?Cam chain replacement and lining up the marks is an easy procedure on them Ks.

Now if you read my above link from ADVrider?All the clutch parts were replaced by a dealer.All but the diaphragm spring.Much speculations at first as to the cause of the slipping until I read the parts list and noticed the spring hadn't been replaced.And described my previous experience in such situation.

Resolved to the owner's satisfaction and under warranty,he brought his bike back to the BMW shop and they took it apart and installed a new diaphragm spring.

Lesson learned back in 1995?Replace the spring!

Lesson learned a couple years ago?Replace the whole clutch pack!

Reactions: Beech
#9 ·
#12 ·
keep your clutch dry

The clutch problem starts with the slave cylinder leaking, which migrates to the rear crankshaft seal - putting it out of commission too. This starts an oil leak at the crankshaft, then you find the slipping.

So, when I did my clutch at ~60,000 miles, I decided I would not want to do it again. I changed the fluid in the clutch to Dot 5, which is much better for the seals. That fluid cannot cause a crankshaft leak.

The clutch job is not so easy, but you can get thru it. Flush the hydraulic system for the clutch with alcohol, and blow dry it with air. Add the Dot 5 fluid (bleed the air of course) - no more clutch problems for you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.