BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Trading in 01 K12RS for a 2009 R1200RT-P

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Lowndesw 
#1 ·
Hey guys-

I'd like to get your opinions on buying a 2009 R1200RT-P with 55K on the clock for $4K from a local dealer? I would like to trade in my 2001 K12RS with approx. 25K mi. Any red flags?

#2 ·
Police bikes have clutches that have been abused. They also have massive spare electrical wiring you may or may not have to deal with (along with a second battery). A buddy of mine has one of this era and likes it but one problem, hard to start below 40*F for some reason.

#4 · (Edited)
Hey Beech- Those are good points to consider. I just kept thinking, "Yeah, the miles are a little high, but it was regularly and professionally maintained." The clutch might be fine now, but may not be in 2K more miles. If in some dream world a dealer offered to replace the clutch as an inducement to pull the trigger would that make it a solid yes in your opinion?

1Fast5: Maybe, but what I won't miss is the obscene weight of this bike. From what I've seen the R12RT weighs something like 100 pounds less than the K12RS.

#5 ·
The RT does not really hold its value in resale. There are many of them out there used for very fair (low) prices. Over the past ten years there have been many model changes (engine types) and folks are eager to have the latest stuff, so the used bike buyer benefits from this situation. Personally I would not be interested in the used police bikes as the negative stories about wiring problems are notable. The driving use an authority bike gets is in the severe use category. In my opinion that is why they get rid of them at 40 or 50K miles. All that said, the RT is probably one of the best touring bikes around. And fairly easy to work on.

Reactions: Lowndesw
#6 · (Edited)
Trade-in ??

Hunternsf,

IF you don't mind me asking, how much did they offer you on the trade-in on the K?? At 25K miles yours should be very nice, but maybe needing upgrades like shocks, brake lines, and a good seat (if you still have the stock units).

I have a '00 K12RS, a '00 R1100S, and a '00 R1100RT. The R1200RT is a completely different and better bike than my old RT and probably more than 100 lbs lighter than your K. But, my K is by far my favorite ride. Yes, it is heavy, but then the ride is so much smoother. I did upgrade the shocks on the RS and K to Wilbur's but the weight makes it ride SO much smoother, along with the turbine smooth K engine. The RT does have much better weather protection and my go-to for wet or cold riding.

The P bikes I've looked at have lived a hard life and show it. No disrespect to the LEO's riding them, they are just doing their jobs, and I'm very thankful for that. However, the bikes are not "cared for" like bikes that are "owner ridden".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.