Cam cover question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2019, 3:06 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Cam cover question

Is there any reason a cam cover from a '98 LT will not work on an '02 RS? I've checked RealOEM and they share the same gasket, but the part numbers are different. I'm hoping maybe that's because the LT cover is black and the RS cover is silver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2019, 7:00 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
Is there any reason a cam cover from a '98 LT will not work on an '02 RS? I've checked RealOEM and they share the same gasket, but the part numbers are different. I'm hoping maybe that's because the LT cover is black and the RS cover is silver?
The differences are minor but of course, this did requires a new part number:
1) color (black -vs- silver)

2) drilled holes on the K1200LT for small bolts holding the spark-plug cover in center. The K1200RS has a plastic snap-on mechanism for its own black plastic cover, where the K1200LT has small screws holding a cover of different material. See yellow circles in attached photo...

None of this will stop you from using a valve / cam cover from a K1200LT as the large rubber gasket are the same. You may need to buy the spark-plug cover from the K1200LT as I am not sure of the fitment in this case (I have never tried to use the plastic spark-plug cover from K1200RS in such case - my guess is it will fit an hide the drilled holes).

P.S. 1: By the way, do not try the same exchange for the right hand crankcase cover ;-)

P.S. 2: when tightening the new cover back in place, be mindful NOT to over torque these bolts (with rubber cap) - they have a built-in shoulder and once the black rubber seal on each bolt has been compresses, there is no gain to go above 9 Nm (6.7 Ft-Lbs). Some have broken or stripped these fairly easily.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200LT_Valve-cover_SparkPlug-cover.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	25491  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by sailor; Oct 20th, 2019 at 7:25 pm.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2019, 8:21 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Thanks Jean, I knew you'd have the answer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode