BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Cam cover question

807 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Honey Badger 
#1 ·
Is there any reason a cam cover from a '98 LT will not work on an '02 RS? I've checked RealOEM and they share the same gasket, but the part numbers are different. I'm hoping maybe that's because the LT cover is black and the RS cover is silver?

#2 · (Edited)
The differences are minor but of course, this did requires a new part number:
1) color (black -vs- silver)

2) drilled holes on the K1200LT for small bolts holding the spark-plug cover in center. The K1200RS has a plastic snap-on mechanism for its own black plastic cover, where the K1200LT has small screws holding a cover of different material. See yellow circles in attached photo...

None of this will stop you from using a valve / cam cover from a K1200LT as the large rubber gasket are the same. You may need to buy the spark-plug cover from the K1200LT as I am not sure of the fitment in this case (I have never tried to use the plastic spark-plug cover from K1200RS in such case - my guess is it will fit an hide the drilled holes).

P.S. 1: By the way, do not try the same exchange for the right hand crankcase cover ;-)

P.S. 2: when tightening the new cover back in place, be mindful NOT to over torque these bolts (with rubber cap) - they have a built-in shoulder and once the black rubber seal on each bolt has been compresses, there is no gain to go above 9 Nm (6.7 Ft-Lbs). Some have broken or stripped these fairly easily.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.