Totally dead electrics while riding - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2019, 8:41 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Totally dead electrics while riding

I purchased a 97 K1200RS with 39,000 miles just over a month ago. The bike has run well for a 1000 miles this included 'normal' rain. I then rode 30 miles in heavy rain, did a couple of journeys in light rain and then another journey in very heavy rain. On this last ride on a motorway the bike cut out for about a second, this included lights and instrument panel lights - I did notice the ABS and low fuel level light flicker on - the bike then came alive again. It did it again several times over the next 6 miles cutting back in after a second. A few miles later in a town the engine and all lights went off. On turning the ignition off and then on there was no noise from the fuel pump, no instrument panel lights and now headlights, brake lights, clock, absolutely nothing. Turning the ignition switch to park - there were still no lights.

I was not able to do anything for a few days and left the bike in a car park. On returning it was still dead, however after trailering home for about 14 miles it started and everything was fine, so seams as if water was causing the problem and it dried out. The dealer I bought the bike from claims to have found a broken lead and spiced a new wire in and the bike has run fine since although there has not been any heavy rain to test it in.

On putting the BM on my bench to service it, it appears that the dealer did not take the fairing off judging by stuck bolts and the only signs of a repair were some tape over the two leads that come from the start and cutout buttons on the right bar (I'm guessing that what these are). Taking the tape off did not reveal any faults with the wire and no repairs. It seems to me that it would be very difficult to access any more of the wiring without removing the fairing and therefore in reality the dealer did nothing.

I believe that engaging the cutout should still leave the lights and instrument panel working so a fault with these wires would not lead to a total blackout. Apparently the dealer did not look at the ignition switch. The battery was/is fully charged and when the electrics worked again started the bike with a healthy turning speed.

Could anyone suggest a cause for this failure? Thanks, Mark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2019, 10:48 pm
Veteran

Dealer most probably removed the "electrical component" from the switch.Then cleaned the contacts....unplugged the drain holes and potentially fixed a broken wire.No need to remove plastics to address that common problem of the K1200RS.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2019, 11:42 pm
Noob

Garage
I would check the side stand switch, it will “kill” the bike if it goes open and is exposed to water when riding in the rain.
Beech likes this.

Alex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2019, 4:21 am Thread Starter
Noob

Things for your thoughts. On questioning the dealer the switch was not touched but something I can look at.

The side stand will not be the problem as it would not cut out all the electrics, just the engine.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2019, 7:06 pm
Noob

I would check the earths at the chassis and battery negative. This type of thing can be a bad earth connection and as there are two on the K 1200RS it is easy to miss an oxidised or loose one. It will require taking off the plastics to access, but that is a minor thing in the big picture.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2019, 7:11 pm
Noob

Hi,
I did have same problem with mine, i took all fairing apart and start digging electrical. I have took fuze box out and found that all grounds or how would say in europe negative wire which is brown color tied together loose. When you see what they did you going to be surprised . There is probably 12 if not more wires tied together.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2019, 10:58 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk65 View Post
Hi,
I did have same problem with mine, i took all fairing apart and start digging electrical. I have took fuze box out and found that all grounds or how would say in europe negative wire which is brown color tied together loose. When you see what they did you going to be surprised . There is probably 12 if not more wires tied together.
Not sure about 12,more like 7--8 depending on model/equipment. But all them wires go to an eye terminal and are connected to the battery negative.There are TWO ground cables on a K1200RS/GT.One is the solid main frame ground.The other is all the brown ground wires brought back to the battery.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2019, 8:41 am
Noob

I have a '98 K1200rs and had almost the exact same problem. After the dealer spent many hours replacing sensors, switches and even the moronic (all under warrenty), it stranded him on the side of the road for two hours during a test ride.

At that point, he replaced the entire wiring harness. Problem solved.

Electrical issues were a "know" issues with german vehicles back in the day. I would consider having that done as these intermittent issues speak to more than a specific component problem. Good luck.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2019, 8:42 am
Noob

Sorry... Motronic....spell check. 🤨
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2019, 10:01 am
Noob

Possibly a broken power wire to/from the ignition switch. These wires fatigue where they bend when the front forks are turned. The break is not visible as the insulation is usually intact. Sometimes you can find the break with an electrical tester, either ohms or volts, while turning the handlebars side to side.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in