BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

2000 K 1200RS canister removal

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Mr2U 
#1 ·
if anyone could direct me to a pervious thread that would
have a description or diagram on canister removal.
The evap one behind the battery.

Thanks,

#3 ·
Google K1200LT "Charcoal canister removal" and watch a YouTube video (or two) on that procedure.

Altough the location of the LT pulse air valve is different from an RS/GT the canisterectomy procedure is the very same.

#4 · (Edited)
Pierre,

Minor correction here: the pulse-vent valve is at the same location on both K1200RS and K1200LT - just by the throttle-bodies on left side. I assume it was a typo from you because I know that you know this... ;-)

IT IS THE CANISTER itself that is located at a different place: under the rear topbox on K1200LT - but behind battery (under seat) on K1200RS. Of course all this involves a bit longer tubing between these 2 areas for K1200LT:
- between fuel tank under fuel pump to the canister (1 hose from right side)
- between pulse-vent valve toward the canister (1 hose from left side)

Also, from these videos, the OP should take note that on both K1200RS and K1200LT:
- the pulse-vent valve can be removed completely and the electrical connector left unplugged just tied to fuel rail. This is the way all K1200RS came from factory when sold in other markets (except USA).

- the 4 small hoses coming out of the throttle-bodies (and tied together with white plastic "T") need to stay in place AND you need to implement a change such as the middle "T" is removed and replace by a single short hose. This is the way all K1200RS came from factory when the canister was not installed (outside of USA). See YELLOW circle in attached photo...

OF COURSE, the OP need to be aware that his motorcycle will now be illegal in the USA as far as the EPA agency is concerned. Once the charcoal canister is removed, it will not be "as certified when new" by the EPA as public road vehicle in the USA. However, we need to keep in mind that: in all these years of production for the K1200RS (1997-2005), no country in Europe had a requirement that motorcycles certified for road usage be equipped with a charcoal canister - neither did CANADA so mine came without it.

Attachments

#5 ·
I don't know Jean.....I quickly watched a video on LT canisterectomy.Might have been on a later bike?Procedure is the same.

What I do know for sure is that once the canister is removed on the RS/GT one should really plug the mounting holes in the lower fender.Otherwise water mud/dirt etc will find its way under the seat and mess things up.:surprise

Reactions: sailor
#6 ·
Thank you for this reply,
I have removed other canisters, like on my R9T scrambler,
and I just had to run the tank hose down towards the ground, and plug up 1 vacuum port.

Looks like this is kind of the same, with removing this air valve, and making the T , not be a T,
but connect across ?

Thanks,

the little rubber hoses remind me of the vent tubes on my ZRX normal carbs, they
usually just vent to air, but hide behind the side covers, so air does not whistle across them.

#7 ·
Most of your assumptions above are correct, however words can only do so much... It will never be like explaining on-site what to do exactly.

To clarify further from my previous post:
1) On throttle-bodies side, the central "T" shown in previous photo has to be replaced with a single short hose as shown in this new attached picture. Thus the idea is that all 4 vacuum hoses (1 for each throttle-body) are linked in a closed loop and will balance each other.

Plugging this middle "T" would also be equivalent, but you are adding complexity and 1 more part instead of reducing / simplifying the 4-into-1 arrangement. Once done like in this photo, the arrangement will be exactly like other K1200RS came from factory (outside USA).

There is also another larger 4-into-1 hose on the other side of the throttle-bodies that you cannot see (and do NOT need to touch in relation to canister). The job of this other 4-into-1 hose is to vent crankcase vacuum/pressure into the throttle-bodies - including some oil mist unfortunately.

2) On the fuel pump side (under tank , right side), one of the 2 small hoses use to go to canister. This one can now go down toward the ground like the other vent / drain did (both will now be together between frame and transmission toward swing-arm).

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.