Sargent vs Corbin - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2020, 9:04 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Sargent vs Corbin

Would those of you that have had both Sargent and Corbin seats please comment on how they compare and which you liked better? I'm finally replacing the OEM seat on my 2003 K1200 RS. I'm leaning toward the Sargent based on looks, but comfort is the primary reason for replacing it, so I'm interested to hear how they compare on comfort.

Thanks in advance!

2003 K1200RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2020, 2:03 am
Enthusiast

Donít discount the heated factory GT seat as an option. I have been using a GT seat on my Ď02 RS for many years and have done well over 100,000 kms. A sore butt was part of the experience on the oem RS seat, but with the GT seat I can ride virtually indefinitely with no discomfort. I also purchased a GT right hand switch block (USD50.00)and wired this into the RS wiring loom so I have the factory seat controls. Wiring in the GT switch block is relatively straight forward, just a bit fiddly and time consuming but not difficult with a wiring diagram on hand. I documented the process on I-BMW but that info is now lost. GT seats come up in the classified section here from time to time and no doubt are available on eBay.

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, Remus hexacone. 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2020, 10:37 am
Rookie

Garage
Iíve owned two Corbin and two Sargent seats.
Corbins are well made. Leather is standard.
However, they are firm to very firm, heavy and more expensive.

Sargents are also well made. They are less firm than a Corbin and are less expensive.
Vinyl is the standard cover material, but leather is a $50.00 option. Sargents also tend to have nice special touches, such as small under seat storage space or flashlights, tool kits, etc., depending on the bike.

I have had excellent customer service from Sargent, and they offer military or LEO discounts. Corbin customer Service has treated me well, but Iím not sure if they offer discounts.

I prefer Sargent seats because, to me they feel better on my nether regions, cost less and have more amenities. Sargentís web page is kind of confusing, so I would call rather than order on line. Discounts are usually 10 to 15%.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2020, 10:41 am

I owned a 1200gt and have had both. I prefer the Corbin. I like the looks of the stitching, and feel it has a better shape for my butt. I think the fit is also a little better than the Sargent. To me the biggest downside of any Corbin seat is the weight. They weigh a ton for something as simple as a seat. This on a bike that already is overweight. Sargent makes a good seat too, I just don't think they are quite as good as the Corbin, but they are lighter and cost less. I couldn't stand the stock BMW seat, heated or not.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2020, 9:40 pm
brm
Noob

I've only had a Corbin and not on a BMW, but bought a Russell Day-long for my K1300GT a couple of years ago and rate it light-years ahead of the Corbin. Russell can retain the factory heat, if specified, has multiple styles, and spreads the load more than the Corbin. I highly recommend the Russell; it makes 500-mile plus days possible. Yeah, I'm a piker, but I'm also 72 years old.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2020, 11:40 pm
Enthusiast

Sargent has a 30 day money back guaranty and a superior seat pan. So put some miles on it and see. You need more than a few days to really tell if your going to get saddle broken to a seat. Corbin are crazy heavy. I think Sargent fits the bike frame quite well also. If you have the stock seat and it has air pollution stickers on the seat pan, do not toss it. Luck for me and my butt the factory seat is great. Only BMW series that this is true for me. Sargent offers large discounts in November.

Mount Vernon, WA.
tire guy, I'll mount your tires.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2020, 1:46 am
Noob

I've never had a Sargent, but I'm on a Corbin now on my 2014 K1300s. Prior to that I had a Corbin on my 1985 K100RS, which I had for 30 years. Both Corbins were firm, to say the least. The new one seems firmer than the '85 version.

One of the main reasons I got another Corbin was because you can get both front and back seats heated. My wife certainly wanted her seat to be heated! And it works wonderfully - even too well sometimes.

The Corbins are indeed heavy. I have nothing to compare to except the stock seat, which was a bit lighter.

If I were to order them again, I'd ask for another 1/4 inch of padding in the seat...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2020, 9:44 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

I've owned something like 30 K bikes (K75s, K100s, K1, K1100s, K1200RS and K1600GT.)and run all sorts of seats.

For lots and lots of miles I'd go with Russell (what I currently have on K1100LT and K1600GT) but they're too tractor seat-ish for an RS type bike.

For miles on an RS I'd go with Sargeant but if not doing long days I prefer the looks of Corbin. For doing miles on a Corbin an Alaska sheep butt pad makes a Corbin tolerable.

JMHO.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2020, 5:58 pm
Noob

I've had both, and I like neither. If I had to choose, I'd go with the Corbin, which to me is the lesser of two evils. I gave the Corbin about 2k miles before I gave up on it, and I gave the Sargent nearly 5k miles before I binned it (I tried longer because it was a little more pliable, and thus I thought it would eventually mold to my skinny butt. It never did). I currently have Seth Laam saddles on all my bikes (one which he did while still with BMS), and I love them.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2020, 5:58 pm
Noob

corbin vs sergeant

Corbins are heavy, they make a fiberglass pan and use hard high density foam. in theory in 1000 miles the seat will fit your butt. not in my experience! I believe they only use leather, it is thin and not for wet climates.

my RS has a Sergeant and I like it, it has a plastic pan like the original and a good feel to me. Leather is fine when dry, but vinyl is better if it is to ever get wet.

Aerostich sells a black sheepskin I have added on long rides on many bikes, it is soft and probably adds the breathability of a leather cover.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode