03 k1200rs shock swap - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kiwi rider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2020, 3:10 am Thread Starter
Noob

03 k1200rs shock swap

I am looking at purchasing an ohlins shock from an R1100RT and have been told that it will swap over , my research so far has not been able to discredit this , does anyone know if it possible , the shock is at a good price . Your info would be most appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2020, 3:42 am
Enthusiast

The man to talk to about all things Ohlins in Kiwiland is Robert Taylor. He is the guru amongst racing circles - what he doesn’t know ... Bought Ohlins from him for my K1200RS over ten years ago and it was absolutely the best move I ever made. After fitting them the grin factor before I even left the driveway was priceless. I had them rebuilt after 80,000km’s and I’m well on the way to the second rebuild. Bare in mind the FRONT shock will do more to improve handling than the rear, so BOTH need to be upgraded to reap the full benefit. Remember the K1200 is probably considerably heavier than the R1100 boxer so the spring rate will likely not be heavy enough to manage the K1200, and that’s if it fits. How many km’s has it done? Recommended servicing is 40,000km’s although I had mine rebuilt at 80,000 km’s. Full rebuild cost well over NZD 1000.00 from memory. A quick search of the MAX BMW parts fiche says they are not the same oem shock, although this could mean a different spring, however the fit of the rear shock is VERY tight and then there is the remote compression reservoir that is fitted on the inside of the rear mudguard, (where the charcoal canister sits on USA models) behind the tool tray and battery. The hydraulic line from shock to reservoir snakes its way from the right hand side over to the left hand side under the rear of the tank. It’s length, and it’s attachment location to the shock is very specific. IMHO the boxer shock is never going to fit.
You can contact Robert here:
CROWN KIWI TECHNICAL is the authorised and EXCLUSIVE distributor to NZ of OHLINS ... KIWI TECHNICAL, 11 MANADON ST, NEW PLYMOUTH Ph / fax 06 751 2100 [email protected].

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, Remus hexacone. 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads

Last edited by flyingkiwi; Feb 19th, 2020 at 2:31 pm. Reason: Spelling/grammar
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2020, 6:06 pm
Noob

I can vouch for what Flying Kiwi said - Robert is the man for Ohlins and the difference it made when I fitted them to my K1200RS was massive. Like having a new bike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2020, 6:24 pm
Veteran

I think yes it can be done.Lots of recent pics out there as to mounting the compression dampener on the R/H side as I did years ago.

And that is IF the RT has a remote compression dampener(or even such dampener) to worry about,that one does not, specs are rebound and preload adjustment only:

https://www.ridersdiscount.com/ohlin...t-96-01-174363

So RT is a Ohlins 46DRLS at lenght of 358mm(adjustable lenght at +10 and -2) so length range is 356 to 368mm.

K1200RS is Ohlins BM702 if they still make it? At 355mm stock length adjustable to +12mm.

So RT Ohlins shock can be taken down to 356 which is only 1 mm over stock RS.

That leaves the spring rate? Ohlins spring rate range is around 40lbs.Deciphering the spring markings as to rate? Good luck with that I asked the Ohlins service guy......he rattled a bunch of stuff which meant that yes I could gain 20-25lbs and still be within that spring rate range!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2020, 2:09 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the help. I have spoken to a friend in Australia who owns his own suspension a shop and has confirmed stroke , length. But the upper and lower fixing points are a bit cloudy as to if they will fit . I have had a reply from a BMW wrecking yard in the UK and they said no , so more research before I can pull the trigger
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2020, 9:10 pm
Rookie

Garage
Contact info for said wrecking yard? (Asking for a friend).
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2020, 12:33 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi rider View Post
Thanks for the help. I have spoken to a friend in Australia who owns his own suspension a shop and has confirmed stroke , length. But the upper and lower fixing points are a bit cloudy as to if they will fit . I have had a reply from a BMW wrecking yard in the UK and they said no , so more research before I can pull the trigger
Lower mount should be the same!Lower shock bushing in the swingarm is the same part number RT or KRS and the boss in the swingarm/mounting point is almost identical.

I could have looked better but that was last year and I was just giving a roadside quick lesson to a new BMW rider for his old/high milleage RT.Lesson as to potential failure points such as FD bearings/Pivots and swingarm.The how to shake the wheel.....!

But personally? I wouldn't even consider a shock without adjustable compression damping!Even my lowly Honda w/Showa suspension has full adjustability.BMW Ohlins? A few clicks either way and I can go from Sporty to Road to Enduro quickly and also set the ride height "some" according to the load I might carry!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2020, 6:49 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I do agree with your comments in regards to compression damping but this is a holiday motorcycle in New Zealand I live in Australia so I do not want to spend too much money the ohlins does have hydraulic preload adjustment. But would be way better than the standard shock. The bike does not handle to up with luggage so I need new spring the shock has already done 76000 km time for it to go without spending a lot of money the wife need money for shoes
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2020, 10:49 pm
Enthusiast

I also would not consider a shock without adjustable compression but I hear you on your reasons for not wanting to spend too much. I have already mentioned the need to replace the front shock to get the full benefit of better handling. At 76,000kms both the shocks will be toast for sure. The Ohlins front shock has no adjustability other than setting preload, and thatís old school with a ring spanner. 🤨

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, Remus hexacone. 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 2:08 am Thread Starter
Noob

I here you , my 955i Tiger had 180,000km on it with Wilbur shock with fast slow compression and race tech Springs and emulator kit in the front (gone to heaven ) . My GSXR 1000 has gold valve kit in the front and Springs and the full Wilbur shock . Our KTM1290 Super Adventure needed a heavier sping in the shock for touring , changing suspension to improve the rider is not new to me, at 52 i've never owned a tin top
H96669 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode