02 K1200RS not starting/stay running - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Big_Jim59

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2020, 10:43 am Thread Starter
Noob

02 K1200RS not starting/stay running

I have an '02 K1200RS that has always started right up until last week. Last week after several very wet weeks I tried starting it up and at first it started right up, but then after a few seconds of idling it died. I tried starting it a few more times and again, it would initially start and then die after a second or two. At first I thought it might be a battery issue since I hadn't ridden it for a few weeks so I put it on the Battery Tender. After fully charging it I tried starting it again and at first it wouldn't start at all and then after several tries it went back to the pattern of starting for a second or two and then dying. The one thing I noticed was that gas tank lock was slightly ajar, apparently the last time I filled it up I managed to not completely lock the gas cap (first time that's ever happened). It was pouring rain the last time I rode it so I thought maybe there was some water in the gas tank. Over the weekend I siphoned all of the gas out and put a fresh gallon of gas in, but I'm still having the same problem. Once or twice I've gotten it to idle for longer than a second or two, but it idles really low and really rough and as soon as I give it some throttle it dies. Any ideas of what the problem might be or what my next steps should be?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2020, 12:25 pm
Noob

It's either spark, fuel or compression. Based on what you said about the fuel, I would see if you could get the fuel out of the bike that was in the lines. Don't know enough to tell you how to do that. And/or pull the plugs and see what they look like. It's something simple.

You don't want to run water through your cylinders, it's non-compressible and will do damage.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2020, 3:10 pm
Enthusiast

Donít think water is the issue as any small amounts of moisture that get past the slightly opened fuel cap would be caught in the outer ring of the fuel inlet area and drained away. First thing I would do is a TPS reset and see if that helps, otherwise I think you have an air leak at or below the throttle bodies and two of the common causes are the crankcase breather hose assembly and the inlet manifold stub O-rings. If you have a build up of oil/road grime on top of your motor this is a good indication the breather hose has cracked. 18 years is a pretty good run out of the hose if itís still original. Another possible culprit is the coolant temperature sensor (not the gauge) that is situated behind the inlet cam on the back of the motor. When an air leak is present the fuel mixture is too lean at idle, particularly when the engine is cold. At higher revs and with more air being drawn into the cylinders this is not so noticeable. Nor are the symptoms as bad in warm or hot weather. Having suffered these symptoms in the past I have found you can give a little throttle while starting and/or rough idling and get the motor to run. Once the motor is hot, starting is not an issue (for me) In my case, having already replaced the breather hose, the fault was traced to the O-rings under the throttle body stubs.

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, Remus hexacone. 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2020, 4:43 pm
Veteran

Syphons do not work well in a KRS tank.Disconnect the fuel return line and drain that way.That is the outboard line.Inspect what comes out?Water if present will sit on the bottom!

Mind you.....gasoline goes right through them fuel pumps.Brushes/commutator are envelopped in fuel as it goes through.Fuel does not conduct electricity so that is how they get away with that.Water does and if it circulated through the pump may have shorted it.

Also....may just be flooded.Disconnect fuel pump at the tank.....pull the clutch in as per the normal cold start procedure,crack throttle wide open and crank away.10 seconds should clear a flooded engine.

Reconnect pump....pull clutch in and try again.

And edit....you can crank her with fuel pump disabled but still connected.Bike on centerstand....in gear with sidestand down.Pull the clutch and crank,sidestand safety switch disables the fuel pump so you can crank and clear a flooded engine.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Last edited by H96669; Feb 24th, 2020 at 6:16 pm.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2020, 9:21 pm
Noob

I want to preface this advice with a disclaimer: 1) it has been a LONG time since I have been into a BWW injection system 2) I may be full of it! That said I would start with your battery. I know you charged it but without a full 12v point something volts it's going to act strange. A battery can have a dead cell and still spin the engine. Bikes don't usually break just sitting. Check your ground (earth) connection. Check for stupid stuff like a mouse nest in the intake or worse in the exhaust pipe. I have seen both and the bike will start but not run. Good luck.
Beech likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2020, 3:20 am
Enthusiast

As H96669 mentions, it might simply be flooded, and again, this has happened to me. I found pulling the plugs and giving them a good clean helped and at the same time allowing the fuel mixture in the combustion chamber to evaporate off.

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, Remus hexacone. 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2020, 10:01 am
Veteran

Yep....easy to flood them.Did just that on my almost last start of the year.Bike sitting in the shed and overnight lows of -4 C......altough temp was up some by mid morning engine was still at below freezing and been sitting for a couple weeks.

Cycle ignition a couple times.....actuate throttle a few times to make sure TBs are back to their stops and of course pull clutch in not to drag the transmission through the cold gear oil.Started right up then stopped twice.Hum......I opened the throttle almost all the way and it did eventually start.

And there is always plan "B",crank with fuel pump disabled!

Good load test for the ~10yrs old Odyssey!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 2020, 9:01 am
Noob

Could be wrong but: A theory

Shortly after engine start, a solenoid is energized that in effect drafts any residue out of the carbon canister. One reason for flooding out after start is: Overfill the tank, the well around the fill nozzle passes the fuel to the canister. So when the bike is started at idle, the full canister will dump raw gas into the intake....Starts, but goes rough idle and then quits because of the excess gas.

Now if the well around the gas cap was filled with water, that would go to the canister too and every time that solenoid opens the intake gets a dose of water...Maybe?

My own machine has had a canisterectomy and won't do it....Plenty of video out there as to why disable the canister.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 2020, 2:21 pm
Veteran

BTW......OP's last activity on this site was at 5.18PM on February 24th.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 2020, 4:06 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Update/solution

I wanted to give an update in case it helps someone else. I ended up taking it to a mechanic because frankly I'm behind on my projects and spring is coming up quick. As I suspected, it was water in the fuel tank. However, it was quite a bit of water, much more than I was expecting. What had happened is that the hole that diverts water from the outer ring of the fuel door had become clogged so, of course, the water backed up and seeped into the tank. This, as expected, let water get into the fuel filter and fouled the plugs. Once all of that was taken care of she's almost as good as new. As H96669 stated earlier, this confirms the fact that siphons don't do jack on these tanks, in order to drain the tank you need to remove it and drain it from the bottom.

Thanks everyone for the ideas, I hope this helps someone else, especially for those of us that ride in wet conditions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode