Frustrated - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2020, 2:55 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Frustrated

So i bought a 2000 K1200rs. I should of known better but i did anyway. It was dropped and the clutch lever and front foot peg was busted. Ok not that big of a deal. I get there and the battery is also deader than a door nail. So i do a quick look over and talk to him about why hes selling and its cause he just got a new Harley and no room. Well yeah garage was tight had to roll out harley to get out the K12 and the whole time its raining pretty good. So i quickly go over the bike and it dont look to bad some scratches where it was dropped and broken clutch and foot peg. Small crack in fairing and and a couple screws missing here and there. Well i get it home and get a clutch reservoir and lever off ebay go get new battery and put it on. Starts right up and im thinking great. Well after letting it run 15 minutes or so the temp crepping up and fans not kicking on blinkers not working on right side hazzard intermittently i start pulling of plastics to chase wires and i notice high beams not working only low. Im thinking maybe just part it out and take my loss???? What do you all think. I feel this is gonna be costly. Lesson learned?? Give me some feed back please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2020, 5:03 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Whipple View Post
So i bought a 2000 K1200rs. I should of known better but i did anyway. It was dropped and the clutch lever and front foot peg was busted. Ok not that big of a deal. I get there and the battery is also deader than a door nail. So i do a quick look over and talk to him about why hes selling and its cause he just got a new Harley and no room. Well yeah garage was tight had to roll out harley to get out the K12 and the whole time its raining pretty
good. So i quickly go over the bike and it dont look to bad some scratches where it was dropped and broken clutch and foot peg. Small crack in fairing and and a couple screws missing here and there. Well i get it home and get a clutch reservoir and lever off ebay go get new battery and put it on. Starts right up and im thinking great. Well after letting it run 15 minutes or so the temp crepping up and fans not kicking on blinkers not working on right side hazzard intermittently i start pulling of plastics to chase wires and i notice high beams not working only low. Im thinking maybe just part it out and take my loss???? What do you all think. I feel this is gonna be costly. Lesson learned?? Give me some feed back please
Also realized my charge light is on so now im looking at a charging issue too. FML lol
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2020, 10:57 am
Veteran

Ouch charging issue! Bike has to be scissored up to remove the alternator!Might as well do the clutch Oring,main seal.....transmission seals,clutch slave,swingarm/paralever pivot bearings,driveshaft inspection etc....etc....at the same time.

Wiring issues are all solvable but it does take time.As a project that could be time consuming and all depending what one finds when digging further expensive?

First.....new battery? Make sure both ground wires are connected to the battery.There are TWO grounds on a K1200RS.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2020, 4:15 pm

All of the small broken parts can be found on ebay for a reasonable cost. But you really need a service manual to make sure your battery, etc is installed properly. Clymer makes a good one. It too, can be purchase on line. Only then can you be sure you are making an informed decision as to the repair/part-out question.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2020, 10:47 pm
Enthusiast

Not a lost cause

Hey Bill. How much did you pay for said bike ? Where are you located ?

Electrical issues can be a pain, but work on one thing at a time. DO check that both cables are connected to the negative terminal of the battery. I was gonna say "keep us posted" (pun intended), but DO give us updates. Many guys on this forum
migrated from i-bmw (Riderspace too quiet, by the way), and we're here to help. Spare parts lying around, too !!

I've read your post 3 times now, and it does not look like you need to pass judgement so quickly.

What's the mileage ? Any pics of areas of concern ? You can learn a lot about the care and maintenance (or lack of) of a bike just by looking at it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2020, 8:22 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohalloran View Post
Hey Bill. How much did you pay for said bike ? Where are you located ?

Electrical issues can be a pain, but work on one thing at a time. DO check that both cables are connected to the negative terminal of the battery. I was gonna say "keep us posted" (pun intended), but DO give us updates. Many guys on this forum

migrated from i-bmw (Riderspace too quiet, by the way), and we're here to help. Spare parts lying around, too !!

I've read your post 3 times now, and it does not look like you need to pass judgement so quickly.

What's the mileage ? Any pics of areas of concern ? You can learn a lot about the care and maintenance (or lack of) of a bike just by looking at it.
I paid 1100 for the bike and it only has 24000 miles on it. I live in Sweet Home Oregon which is an hour south east of Salem Oregon. The bike was very dusty and wind screen was yellowed but besides the afore mentioned issues it didnt seem to off. It wasnt till i really dug in to it more that i found issuses that i wasnt aware of. I dont lie and have a bad habbit of taking people at their word and can usually tell when some ones trying to play me and i dont know if i just missed it or the fact that i really liked the bike clouded my judgement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	86776521_123184925775344_4190444550977748992_n_1584753712182.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	26443  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2020, 11:31 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
Here's a link to some manuals (at the bottom of the page) - LINK

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone
2004 Honda CBR600RR - gone

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2020, 12:14 pm

Hey, for 1200 bucks you can take your time and turn this around. A bike that old will actually need much more than you think ($$$). All the rubber will be just about trash, things like brake lines, engine breather tube, the infamous 19x4mm oring. But, in the end you will have a cool bike. I have owned three of them. Much enjoyment.

Mount Vernon, WA.
tire guy, I'll mount your tires.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 3:06 pm
Enthusiast

Hey Bill,

What Beech said. You didn't pay much, but all the rubber is worn out. Speaking of which, that left hand grip looks suspiciously worn out for 24,000 miles.

Anyway, sort one thing out at a time; it is a great bike when all is well with it. Biggest expense may be the rear main seal.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2020, 2:53 pm
Noob

Garage
you have a possible real money pit there,

1. if you are a capable wrench, you may get thru it,
2. if you have unlimited funds, and just love that bike.

3. you might ask around independent BMW shops, and
see if you can find an older tech. who used to work a lot on K bikes.
they can be hard to find.

without any of the above, spending another dime would take some real thought.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode