Starting issues - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2020, 5:09 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Starting issues

Hey guys,
Pulled the bike out from storage yesterday. Bike would turn over, but would not start. In fact, with each crank, it would crank for approx. 3 seconds, then shut it itself off (unlike the earlier KRS's that would weld the contacts together!!). Mine is an '02 with 140,000km.

Battery takes a charge; brought it up to 13V in no time. Went for a ride of about an hour in duration before I shut it off. Same thing. Barely cranks over. I'm now 60km from home. Thank God I was smart enough to be at a gas station and bring my charger. On my way in less than 20 minutes. Headed home.

Starting was difficult last year, so it has nothing to do with storage. I'm reading through the Clymer's, and it looks like I need the dealers Moby Dick to do a proper assessment of the alternator and starter.

I guess I can't rule out a parasitic draw, which is one of the easier tests in the Clymer's. I suspect a failing starter motor, and I guess I would have to find Pierre's thread on how to pull that out the easy way.

Voltage at terminals read 11.6 with ignition on but not running, and 12.5 with ignition off. Battery charges up to 13V in a few minutes. I don't see a problem with the battery. It was load tested last year and it checked out fine. Odyssey 680, by the way. About 2 years old at best.

Not looking forward to any of this.

At least I have the KLR to keep me happy at this point.

Any thoughts/suggestions ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2020, 8:02 pm
Veteran

12.5V on a Odyssey? That's about 70% state of charge.

If at any time it was run low, that is as per Odyssey 12.6V(,the point where it should be topped) and not floated/recharged with an approved charger it may be damaged.

Charges quickly to 13V? May not be a good thing the quick charge and probably indicates that the battery lost capacity.And that's 13V surface charge if just off the charger,not a true indication of SOC.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2020, 8:31 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks Pierre. So that's looking at from outside the box. Maybe last year it was compromised, and I've been misled into thinking I have an issue OTHER than the battery. I thin k I forgot to ground the Centech fuse panel one time. Can't remember.

For the record, my 2 negative wires are screwed together, so there's no messing up with doing the install. Happened to me about 15 years ago where I forgot to attach both wires to "-". !!!

What would happen if i put my KLR battery in the bike to start it, just to see if the starter did not behave so lazily. If it started up with some zest, then I could safely say it's the battery. KLR battery is a Scorpion 14Ah, with 210 CCA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2020, 10:09 pm
Veteran

Well...old GS battery starts my bike.2012 Motobatt 14A with~200CCAs?Someone on the road told the owner that his old battery caused his iABS faults.Wasn't so but I am watching over it,would keep me riding in case my 2010 Odyssey does fail.

Mind you....140Ks on a starter? Never serviced or cleaned?Could be time!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2020, 10:51 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

All right then. I will pop in the KLR battery and and see how smoothly that operation goes.

Right. No service ever done on the starter.

Fingers crossed.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2020, 3:20 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Encouragement

That went well. Popped in the KLR battery, and the bike fired up like new. Is that because it has 40 more CCA than the Odyssey, or because the Scorpion battery was resting at a healthy 13V vs. 12.5V for the Odyssey, or because I do, in fact, have a battery that has been compromised ?

I know they load tested it last year. And I was always concerned that the starter would turn over slowly. It never left me stranded (until Friday night!), but I will simply go out and buy a new one.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2020, 6:11 pm
Noob

For several years I did battle with a Ducati ST3S and its batteries. It sounds like you nailed it when you swapped the batteries. Iíd wire in a battery monitor while you have everything out. For peace of mind, if nothing else.

ZOOMIE
2015 K1300S
2016 R1200RS
FREE STATE OF IDAHO
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2020, 8:02 pm
Rookie

Garage
If you haven't bought the battery yet, RyanF9 has a good youtube video on pros/cons of lead acid, AGM, Lithium. Might be worth checking out.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2020, 3:37 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Hey Nigel,

There's no rush to buy the battery, as there's no rush to go anywhere. Mind you, if I had the new battery in the k-bike now, I would be more inclined to go for a ride in the cooler temps. I only have heated grips on the KLR !

My first Odyssey battery was great. Probably 6 years out of it. For some reason, this one seems problematic. I have a Centech fuse panel wired up with the relay, but that shouldn't be a factor in any way.

I will probably just go with another PC680. It's $143(Cdn) + tax, and Great Northern Batteries is nearby in Hamilton.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2020, 3:52 pm
Noob

Hey Dave! It's Bruce, good to see you're riding the K12 (or trying).

I had a similar problem with my older bike that I keep in Maryland ('98 K12RS) last summer. On way home from work, it started acting crazy (slow to start, stalling out, low voltage indicator, dim lights). Odyssey battery was 8+ years old, so replaced it with a new PC680 as a first step. That fixed it.

I was originally confused (and still am) because once the bike was running, I thought the alternator could handle all the power requirements (like an older car). Not sure if a bad/shorted battery can cause issues while running, or maybe I have other problems that a good battery masks. Have rode it several times since then, with no further issues.

Will check in with you soon and try to get up your way, once CORONA-19 stuff cools off. With the work I do, things have been rather busy lately.
H96669 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode