Did First Time Maintenance Yesterday - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2020, 1:56 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Did First Time Maintenance Yesterday

Took apart the K1200GT for the first time. I always buy stuff, take it apart, do maintenance and put it back together. I have yet to put it back together.

It appears it was very well taken care of, but definitely needed some maintenance. Had my first Tupperware party. Was pretty easy, but had to be careful because I had never done it before, nothing was damaged.

I drained the oil (which was over filled, it was high out of sight on the sight glass). Changed the filter, which is pretty cool, it sits up inside the engine case with a metal cover that protects it. You need a special filter wrench to get it off. Got all of that stuff at Beemerboneyard.

Took the tank off to change the fuel filter. It was a tiny bit harder than I thought, but wasn't hard at all. Old filter was dated 2014, so it had been a while. Used aftermarket parts, hope the BMW Gods don't get me.

My bike has the "whizzy" servo ABS brakes.....very cool system. You pull the brake, the brake pressure from the master cylinder (either hand or foot) acts on the servo unit, then it takes over and boosts the signal and there is another circuit that pressurizes the calipers.

So you bleed the two master cylinders to the ABS the old fashioned way (I used a vacuum pump), then you bleed the ABS to the brake calipers using the onboard servo pump.

The fluid was dirty. These systems need to stay clean.

Most of it looked like this until I got the fresh stuff through.

When you are doing the calipers, the bike is turned on to energize the servo, then you just pull the brake lever (or push on the foot lever) and the servo starts pumping fluid through the system.

You need this special funnel that screws into the reservoir that feed the ABS system, it's hard to tell, but the straight section has fluid in it. You watch it go down as you pull the brakes.

Also changed the final drive oil.

I did not do the spline shaft lubrication because I don't have the special tools, but I don't think my bike needs it. Can anybody confirm if I need to do this ASAP or if I can wait until next year? Mine is an 03 with 24K miles.

I started cleaning it, got the top done, now to get the grime off the bottom and put it back together.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2020, 2:35 pm
Veteran

The manual is rather specific: DO NOT use any type of vacuum bleeding device on the iABS system.

Looks like only the front lever line is SS braided Teflon.Someone did that to accomodate for the barbacks and left all the other rubber OEM brake lines ???Maybe why the fluid was dirty?Them OEM rubber lines had a bad tendency to fall apart internally and that years ago....!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2020, 2:39 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
The manual is rather specific: DO NOT use any type of vacuum bleeding device on the iABS system.

Looks like only the front lever line is SS braided Teflon.Someone did that to accomodate for the barbacks and left all the other rubber OEM brake lines ???Maybe why the fluid was dirty?Them OEM rubber lines had a bad tendency to fall apart internally and that years ago....!
Yea, I figure the front brake line was changed due to the barbacks. I just noticed the other day that my bike has the extenders for the foot pegs also, had to find that online. Still have to adjust the shifter linkage to my liking. You basically have to put your foot vertical to upshift.

Do you know (I know you know) if the driveshaft splines require re-lubbing or is that for earlier bikes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2020, 4:09 am
Addict

Might be a good opportunity to refresh the coolant. The remote reservoir is very low indicating it might be a while since it was changed. Replacement intervals have changed (I believe) from 2 years to 4 years although Iím still stuck on doing mine every 2 years.

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, Remus hexacone. 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2020, 8:30 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkiwi View Post
Might be a good opportunity to refresh the coolant. The remote reservoir is very low indicating it might be a while since it was changed. Replacement intervals have changed (I believe) from 2 years to 4 years although Iím still stuck on doing mine every 2 years.
I will have to look into that. It would be very easy to do now.

Question for everyone, my instrument cluster background lights do not work, which I didn't notice until I fired the bike up after dark. The fuse is good, the low beam and license plate lights come on (which are on the same circuit), the ground is good, but just no voltage to the lights.

I need to pull the instrument cluster, but I am having issues. I took the two bolts off, but can't get it out of the bike. Looking on ebay, it appears that there is a post on the top and I can see it on my bike, it goes into a rubber bushing. But it does not want to pull out. Anybody with experience with this? I don't think I have to pull the whole front end apart to get to the back, but I can't get the post out of the rubber bushing.

Here is a picture of the post from ebay:

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2020, 9:42 am
Veteran

That instrument post might be clipped in place! Exact same clip as? Snorkel....radiators etc!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2020, 4:49 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
That instrument post might be clipped in place! Exact same clip as? Snorkel....radiators etc!
Yep, it was clipped in place. I will post some pictures once I get everything done.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2020, 4:27 am
Addict

If you donít have it, load a quick access to MAX BMW parts fiche onto you computer. The diagrams are totally helpful if you are struggling with how to take something apart - or put back together! Iíve used it more times than I care to remember cos I donít always take photos telling myself how could I possibly forget how it goes back together. Epic Fail!

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, Remus hexacone. 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2020, 7:06 pm Thread Starter
Noob

So I did a few extra things. I was thinking I should change the coolant, the good news is that I had to take the right side radiator off in order to troubleshoot my instrument cluster lights not working. They were not getting power, but they had ground.

Figured out how to get the instrument cluster off, it did have the clip that is found on the radiator on the back of it.

I had to find where the grey/blue wire for the instrument lights went to the electrical connection box. So I took the right radiator off (had to drain the coolant) and then I could get to the box.

The Clymer manual doesn't have the color codes right, but I could figure out which connector it was from the Clymer manual, it is the white connector that has the instrument cluster wiring going to it.

I was doing continuity checks from that connector to the wires on the instrument cluster with the bulb pulled, but no connection. You can see the blue grey wire on the top of this connector, pin number 4.

So I started tracing the wire back to the instrument cluster and what did I find? A BROKEN WIRE! Imagine that!

Did a quick fix with a yellow repair wire that I have from a huge wiring kit and everything works again.

It was not easy to figure out what type of coolant to use, and I THOUGHT that it was green coolant that was drained, but then I took a small amount out and figured out it was blue. Did some more research and found that BMW cars and bikes use the same coolant and found the equivalent Pentofrost coolant, I always use Pentofrost products for all my cars, cheaper and the same thing. Got 1.5 liters and mixed it with distilled water, it was the exact amount that I needed.

My messy work area, I have since cleaned everything up.

I am just waiting for the superbrightled's for replacement instrument cluster bulbs and I can button it up!

I am old school, also used Zymol HD Cleanse on everything and then Zymol wax on everything. The bike is looking good!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2020, 9:17 am
Veteran

Why so many uncased harnesses outside the electrical box?

Everything should be cased all the way to (and through) the box.Someone pulled the Jack out of the Box and couldn't stuff the harnesses back in?

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode