what does the underside of the GT seat look like? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2006, 12:15 pm Thread Starter

what does the underside of the GT seat look like?

Hi, I saw a GT seat in the classifieds, I would like to put a heated GT seat on my 98 KRS because it gets real cold up here at 9097 and I think it would help. I see on the parts fiche for GTs that there is a high and a low seat. My RS seat has two slots, one for high and one for low, so I had assumed the GT seat has only one slot, and the low GT seat corresponds to the low on the RS, and the high corresponds to the high RS, but I received one reply that indicates that the GT seat in fact has two positions also, and that the low position on the GT high seat corresponds to the high position on the RS seat, so presumably one could go even higher on the GT seat than the RS seat allows. By inference I assume that the high position on the GT low seat corresponds to the low RS position, such that the low slot on the GT seat allows you to go lower than the low position on the RS seat. Long story short, I use the high position on my RS seat, so I am trying to figure out which GT seat I need. The MAX BMW parts fiche show the GT high seat part number ends in 901, and the GT low ends in 848, I am assuming I need the 901 high seat seat in the low position to equal my RS seat in the high position. Can't find a dealer with one in stock to flip a GT seat over for me and tell me if it does indeed have two slots in it like my RS seat, so I will have to ask you folks for some advice before I shell out the $350 bucks. I am also presuming the RS and the GT seat are otherwise identical on top. I have found the wiring diagrams, so am ready to rock once I get this sorted out. Thanks, confused, Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2006, 12:42 pm
Lee
Enthusiast

The low GT seat looks like the RS seat. The high GT seat has that little bump on the passenger section. The high GT is thicker ( more foam) than the RS seat.
Attached is a picture of James Texas two bikes.
The Zebra has the GT seat and the Taxi has the RS seat.
If James sees this, maybe he can tell you if the high GT seat sits much higher than the RS seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seats.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	2663  

Lee Fillian
Creston, Iowa
03 K1200RS
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2006, 12:54 pm Thread Starter

excellent foto

I see, had no idea there was a difference in look. Are the GT seats adjustable in terms of having two slots like the RS seat? Thanks, Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2006, 1:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
The low GT seat looks like the RS seat. The high GT seat has that little bump on the passenger section. The high GT is thicker ( more foam) than the RS seat.
Attached is a picture of James Texas two bikes.
The Zebra has the GT seat and the Taxi has the RS seat.
If James sees this, maybe he can tell you if the high GT seat sits much higher than the RS seat.
The seat on the blue & white bike is about 1/2 inch taller than the stock seat on the Checker.
Also BMW has a comfort GT seat that is taller than the one in the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GT&RS Seat1.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	2667   Click image for larger version

Name:	GT&RS Seat2.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	2668  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2006, 1:31 pm Thread Starter

do they have two slots?

Do the GT seats have two slots, are they height adjustable like the RS seat? Which seat do I need to match the RS seat set to the high position?
Cheers,
Jack
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2006, 1:35 pm

Yes, they do have two positions on all the seats.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2006, 2:08 pm
Lee
Enthusiast

Here are some seat heights from a BMW Brochure.

RS seat
30.3" & 31.5"

GT seat
31.1" & 32.8"

Low GT seat
30.3" & 31.5"

Are we all confused yet? I am.

Lee Fillian
Creston, Iowa
03 K1200RS
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2006, 2:28 pm

Talking

To make matters worse, there is a Comfort GT seat also.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2006, 2:37 pm Thread Starter

right

When I just spoke with Daytona BMW the parts man told me they changed the design of the GT seat such that the passenger side now has some extra stitching, but he wouldn't give me the part number!!!. I'll get it sorted, thanks for the pics James. Plus there is this comfort seat factor to add to the confusion. Maybe I'll order them all and send back the ones I don't need Looks like either one will get me to the 31.5" high RS position, based on Lee's numbers.
Jack

Last edited by frisco99; Jun 8th, 2006 at 2:45 pm.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2006, 2:45 pm

Frisco99,

The seat with the seam is thicker than mine in the pics. About 1/2 a inch taller than mine or 1inch taller than stock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode